Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Live USB Multiboot + Persistence for multiple ISO

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:04 AM

I was ecstatic when I accidentally found a live USB multiboot creator (boot multiple ISO from one flash drive) @ www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-multiple-iso-from-usb-multiboot-usb/
I loaded up all the ISOs I had Live versions off of a few flash drives and cds, here's what I installed:
SliTaz (mini Linux Live Boot)
Ophcrack (xp free small/fast and vista tables)
Memtest86+
DBAN
UBCD
AVG Rescue CD
BT4 final

(If you have an iso but the filename doesn't exactly match the list given in the link above, in most cases you can just tweak the filename to match)
(eg. BT4 has a specific iso name for r1, but r2 was released. Just rename r2 to match r1)

I am looking to enable persistence for SliTaz, Ophcrack, AVG, and BT4.
I saw the tool listed near the bottom of the pendrivelinux link, but it says it would only be for one distro.

Persistence Usages:
SliTaz: File Storage/Package Installation
Ophcrack: File Storage
AVG: File Storage for updates
BT4: File Storage

So only one iso actually needs the ability to keep installed packages installed. (I might switch from SliTaz for another better looking small-sized Linux distro)

I have ~2GB left on the flash drive this is all installed to, so I have plenty of room for other stuff.

Some ideas:
Use the tool from the PDL link above to create a persistence file for SliTaz, then partition the flash drive for file storage for the others (would a partitioned flash drive affect the Live Boot process? Would it automount or at least be discovered?)

*BTW kudos for the website redesign. Looks much better!

EDIT@MODS: Didn't see the Live Linux subsection. It would be great if you could move this thread there.

Edited by elise025, 06 December 2010 - 07:36 AM.
Moved as suggested ~ Elise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users