Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't use the Troubleshooter

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DisturbedComputer

DisturbedComputer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:49 AM

Hi,

Need some help here Please. Need to get the Diagnostic Policy Service to start

It started 11/26/2010 when IE 8 would not load or it would somewhat load then it would <br style="">

When it would not load:

It was ALL White.<br style=""> When it would somewhat load:

No web site but the toolbar was their but whited out.<br style=""> When it would load:

It loaded my home page (msn.com) but would not do anything.

Then on the 27th Firefox Home page (Google.com) was hit when I would Google and click a link it was taking me not to the link but to a different link... But if I copied the link it would take me to it...
I did found out that I had:

Rootkit.Win32.TDSS.tdl4 on the 28th ran TDSSKiller.exe got rid of Rootkit.Win32.TDSS.tdl4.
Oh and the Rootkit.Win32.TDSS.tdl4 infected my system restore cause I did two restores one for the 24th and on the 8th Nov.
Somehow it got to my other win 7 Home Premium at which I have not used since I installed my Ultimate back in February.
When I got rid of the Rootkit.Win32.TDSS.tdl4 Home Premium is all good well that I know of...

I can use the troubleshooter on it.
Ok so on day 1 and still today Dec. 3rd 2010 I cannot use the Troubleshooter because,
Diagnostic Policy Service will not stay on I get this message:

The Diagnostic Policy Service Service on local Computer started and then stopped. Some Services stop automatically if they are not in use by other Services or programs.

Also on these two Diagnostic Service Host and Diagnostic System Host the option to start them is grayed out all 3 are set to Automatic now but was set to Manual.

Can you please help me to get them to turn on thanks?
Step-by-step is needed... dumb it down

I did try to do this, but was unable to. Did not have Permission or was not doing it right.<br style="">

1. In Registry Editor (click start->Type in regedit and hit enter), browse to the above mentioned key for which you need to add permission.
2. Right click the key, and click Permissions. (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DPS\Parameters)
3. Click “Add” Button under usernames. Make sure Locations is selected to be the local computer.
4. in the "Enter the object names to select field, type "NT SERVICE\mpssvc". Then click “Check name.”
5. Click OK.
6. Then select the account which appears in the list, and add the appropriate permission (Full Control, Read) for it.
7. When this is done, click OK.

this is from Microsoft but for me not so clear, enough on their direction
Examples for their instruction that are or would not be clear.

1 you can't be in Registry Editor and then click start and type what they want your already in it
good thing I know how to get in to Regedit

2 I did right clicked on Parameters not sure if it was what I was to R-Click on but the stuff on the right did not have the option for Permissions

3 they lost me click ADD under usernames so I tried User (Disturbed-PC\Users) then click ADD

4 they lost me but I did try this NT SERVICE\mpssvc in the bottom box (Enter the object names to select) did not work so even tried "NT SERVICE\mpssvc" and NT SERVICE and mpssvc
and when I click on Check name this NT SERVICE\mpssvc turns into MpsSvc

5 is good click OK

6 I guess I need to click on MpsSvc cause now it is in the list along with the ones that was there
SYSTEM,
Administrators (Disturbed-PC\Administrators)
Users (Disturbed-PC\Users)
TrustedInstaller
so I click (Full Control, Read)

7 click OK well it's not ok I get this: Unable to save permission changes on Parameters. Access is denied.

I also tried doing
Administrators (Disturbed-PC\Administrators)
Users (Disturbed-PC\Users)
instead of MpsSvc but still get Unable to save permission changes on Parameters. Access is denied.

If this helps to the right of Parameters
Name Type Data
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
ServiceDll REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemRoot%\system32\dps.dll
ServiceDllUnloadOnStop REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)
ServiceMain REG_SZ ServiceMain

I also checked out under gpedit.msc<br style=""> <br style="">

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Troubleshooting and Diagnostics\Scripted Diagnostics

Check these settings and ensure that they’re not disabled:

Troubleshooting: Allow users to access and run Troubleshooting Wizards

Troubleshooting: Allow users to access online troubleshooting content on Microsoft servers from the Troubleshooting Control Panel (via the Windows Online Troubleshooting Service - WOTS)

They was disabled but good now.<br style=""> <br style="">
My ART
http://oxygenhazard.deviantart.com/gallery/

The Cosmos is all it is or ever was or ever will be.
We are, a way for the cosmos to know it’s self.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DisturbedComputer

DisturbedComputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:09 PM

I solved the Diagnostic Policy Service Problem.

I ran
System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) x2
and
Check Disk Utility
chkdsk

restarted and all good so far..

you can put this post as Fixed.
by poster
My ART
http://oxygenhazard.deviantart.com/gallery/

The Cosmos is all it is or ever was or ever will be.
We are, a way for the cosmos to know it’s self.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users