Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.exe.ddf virus?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ginger4Him

Ginger4Him

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:03 PM

Hi, I'm new to this website, but in need of some information. I am a teacher for the local ISD. Yesterday, I was trying to install a file when I noticed that all the .exe files in the networked shared folder ended in .ddf I inquired with the technology department as to what was wrong and they were not aware of the problem. Later I received a phone call telling me that apparently they had gotten a virus and none of the files were recoverable.
My question is, what kind of virus is this that adds .ddf to the end of most of the .exe files? I have searched and searched and cannot find anything. I did find one other person who posted the same problem on the McAfee forum, but he never got a response. Secondly, I would like to know if anyone knows of a way to recover this file? The district spent 15,000.00 on this program and they have no idea where the original disk is. They are not the most highly qualified techs, so I am not sure that they even tried to recover the file. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Ginger

Edited by hamluis, 03 December 2010 - 08:53 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:13 AM

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 pntblltrc4

pntblltrc4

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:15 AM

More than likely it was a trojan. A trojan will use all sorts of weird extensions during its attack run. What program did the virus corrupt, was it a database?
Isaiah 54:17
No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue [that] shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This [is] the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness [is] of me, saith the LORD.

#4 Ginger4Him

Ginger4Him
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:28 PM

I can't add a log because it is not my computer. It is a shared folder on the ISD network. I need to know if it is a virus or a malware as you say or if anyone else has experienced this problem.
Thanks

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:40 PM

I suggest, you start new topic in malware forum and ask your questions there.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 UnderQualifiedTech

UnderQualifiedTech

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:08 PM

I would recommend you let your technology department handle the issue. It is their job... If it is on a shared drive then it is definitely out of your hands as an end-user.

Also, it sounds like they may have actually had an idea as to what was going on(what would you know that makes them "not the most highly qualified techs").

Why did your district's end-users store such an expensive program on a shared drive instead of having your tech department place it in an installs directory?

Try not to blame your technology department and hold the one who made the mistake responsible instead.

#7 kevin.flynn82

kevin.flynn82

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

This is an interesting problem, but I think I can help. DDF stands for damaged data file. When the virus you mentioned was released on the shared drive, the Master Control Program on your network automatically hid all of the executable files to prevent corruption. The DDF files you see are simply placeholders. Just let your IT department know about the Master Control Program's activities and that the files are safe on the mainframe and need to be retrieved using a Boolean Microscan (BM). That should restore your files and get you running again. End of line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users