Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Network Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 joesmith

joesmith

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:21 PM

Hello,

I'm new to windows 7, recently bought a laptop for school, and I have a question about it regarding my network connections. When I open Control Pannel / Network and Internet / Network and Sharing Center , I see two Icons under the 'View your active connections' section. One is my home's wireless private network, which has a name and WPA2 Encryption, it also has a Little house beside it (referring to my home network). To the right of there, it has Access type: Internet, HomeGroup: Joined, Connections : Wireless Network Connection (name). My problem/question is, There is another connection listed under the 'View your active connections' section which is called 'Unidentified network' and says Public Network beneath that. There is a little public park bench icon to the left of the name, and to the right it says Access type: Internet, Connections : Wireless Network Connection (name)... This seems a little fish-y to me. I do not recall seeing this when I had my windows XP desktop about 3 months ago. Is this some sort of Windows 7 thing (does it list my connection as two seperate active connections??) or is this a problem with my network all together? I have tried to disable the Unidentified network, but once I do, even my Home network cuts out and does not appear in my active connections section... Im stumped, and could use your help. If any more info. is needed to help further answer my problem then let me know. Thanks in advance,

Joe

Edited by joesmith, 02 December 2010 - 09:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pachm

pachm

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:43 PM

This is normal when wireless is detecting a new network. always choose public network that park bench, for places you are visiting. They are usually unencrypted leaving you personal network sharing open to any one who connects to the same network. you don't need to disable any networks, your PC is just storing connections you have used.

Edited by pachm, 02 December 2010 - 11:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users