Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to start Window XP, even in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#46 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:29 PM

I still cannot connect to the internet

Do you still have the problem?

Try the following:
  • Reboot the computer. Test your internet connection.
  • Uninstall the network adapter
  • In Device Manager, under Network adapters, right-click on the device and choose Uninstall.
  • Now reboot the computer and allow Windows to reinstall the network adapter on start up.
  • Test your internet connection. (If no internet connection check with "ipconfig /all" that the device has a "Physical Address" now.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#47 REIDS

REIDS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:56 PM

Alright everybody. I believe I have everything figured out now. The following are the steps that I took since the last time I checked with this post:
I dropped off my computer to a local tech guy. He checked the hard drives under load, the mother board hardware, and the graphics card. The graphics card seemed to be working at first sight, however, when he visually checked the board he noticed that the capacitors where bulging (supposed to be flat over the top of the heads) and one was actually leaking. He ran more load tests on the graphics card and determined that the capacitors were working, but allowing the power to spike irrationally. Since the graphics card did not have a fan, it would overheat rapidly beyond what the heatsync would allow. This would cause the graphics card to shut down and then somehow the system would lockup because nothing would function properly through the graphics card. Then we had some issues with the internet connection and it ended up being that the drivers for the internet connection that we got off of the Intel website were faulty drivers (go figure). It took this guy about 3-4 weeks to figure everything out. I am getting the computer back tomorrow and will update you all if any other problems start occuring. I don't know how I could have diagnosed the graphics card problem other than knowing how the capacitors on the card should have looked. If any of you want the proper internet driver (the one that works... not the one off of the Intel website) in case another person has the same mother board and is having issues, let me know. I can email it to you if you would like to keep in your records.

Thank you all so much for your help with this problem. I'm going to have a drink now. Cheers to your help!

#48 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:34 AM

Thank you very much for letting us know the final (hopefully) resolution of your issues. We do appreciate that: It adds to our collective experience, and lets us know if we were looking in the correct direction.

I am very pleased to know that the root of the initial problem has been found and that with a new graphics card all should be well again. It sounds good to me. The problem with the official Intel network drivers is a curly one ... to remember for later on?

Yes, please let us know how your system behaves after using it for awhile, and whether you have any remaining issues.

Take care and best wishes,
Regards
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users