Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what can i do to upgrade this laptop.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CallMeTy

CallMeTy

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:39 PM

i have this dell laptop (inspiron 1526). i tried to play WOW on it today and its not great. it wont let me go past "fair" settings. so what can i do to it to at least play WOW on it. processor is amd turion 64 x2 (2.00ghz), 2gb of ram, 32bit OS. what you guys think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:01 PM

Probably the only thing you can upgrade really is the memory, the computer will support up to 4 gigs (you would have to replace the modules you have with a 2 x 2 gigabyte set) of 667 mhz DDr2. Keep in mind, since you only have a 32 bit OS all you will only be able to use 3.25-3.75 gigs max of that, though I would recomend using a 2 x 2 gig set over a 2 x 1 simply because it will still function slightly better and is likely going to be cheaper to order them in a set. Unfortunatly, with laptops, the most you can really upgrade with them is Ram and hard drives-beyond that its really not practical/worth it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 CallMeTy

CallMeTy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:57 PM

Do you think I will see any kind of improvements by upgrading the ram. My guess is that its the 2core processor holding the game back. And I'm guessing that I have a sucky gpu that's why I can't get it to go above "fair" graphics. But it will be a little better for me if I can get it to run smoother. I think it said I had 7 fps to,lol. Anyway how hard is it to change ram in a laptop, and what brand should I look at? Thnx

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:47 AM

Usually not hard, just a small panel with 2 screws on the bottom of the laptop. You may notice some, I doubt your going to get over 30 fps but I could be mistaken. It will help your other computing like multi tasking and such. I tend to recomend Patriot memory, but there are several good brands to choose from such as OCZ, Crucial, Kingston, Corsair, and G.Skill. Whatever has the best deal between those brands would be what I would recomend. Either that or just saving the money for a new computer. And I know it may suck, but try lowering your resolution, that may help with the graphics, or lowering the graphics to improve frame rate.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users