Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Leaving my contribution

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 deadcat

deadcat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:54 PM

Hi guys. I am new to posting on this site although I have used the great services just by reading what others have done. I don't know where to post the following information except here because it is not specific to any specific operating system. My computer has run very slow with high internet traffic. I finally found out why. The connection to Akamai Technologies was going like crazy even though I had not requested any updates or downloads.

A few days ago I was going to download a trial of Adobe Elements and had time to read the fine print. Prior to downloading I read that by downloading software from Adobe I agreed to the T&C of Akamai Technologies. The following is a copy of the pertinent agreement:

The Akamai NetSession Interface is secure client-side networking technology for delivery of software and media, improving the speed, reliability, and efficiency of content downloaded from the Web. The Akamai NetSession Interface connects your machine and other end user machines and uses those machines' capacity to help speed delivery.

End users of the Akamai NetSession Interface will find that the client:
Speeds up downloads
Is a secure data networking component with no adware or spyware
Is a key networking library powering many of your favorite online applications
Runs in the background with negligible use of PC resources or upload bandwidth
The Akamai NetSession Interface accomplishes this by coordinating all caches of content on the Akamai network, including caches on end user machines as well as web servers and other sources. In order to speed the download process, the Akamai NetSession Interface:
connects end user machines to use multiple sources of data;
Looks for faster/nearer sources of a file;
Routes your download around network congestion and traffic spikes.

It doesn't take a dummy to understand that this is Akamai establishing my computer as a Torrent seed on behalf of Adobe and Akamai. I had no way to opt out of this if I wanted Adobe software. For those on measured service you end up paying for Adobe and Akamai to distribute their software to everyone else on the planet.

The devil is in the details.

I know, welcome to the world of big business and computing.

(Moderator edit: moved topic to more appropriate forum and clarified Topic Description. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 03 December 2010 - 09:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 grow rose

grow rose

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:14 PM

WOW! What does this mean? Dont use "Adobe"? I was just about to download "Adobe X". I mean you have to have it, don't ya?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users