Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Trouble68

Trouble68

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:46 PM

I am having a very similar problem with disappearing text that many other unanswered posts are having.

Computer stats: Windows XP Pro SP3 4GB Ram Core 2 Quad processor
(this is a dual-boot system with Windows XP on partition H: and Vista 64 on C: none of these problems applies when in Vista)

When first booted, everything is normal.
Several hours later, and often after the computer has rested a while (overnight or for a couple hours unattended) the following symptoms happen:
Text labels on icons and in task bar disappear and/or become fuzzy.
Internet explorer text disappears, sometimes flashes when I mouse-over
Certain windows become clear (restart/shutdown window shows only the edge and buttons)
Programs refuse to start "TaskMGR.exe unable to execute" Internet explorer will not re-start when ended.
This can only be fixed by a restart, but eventually it happens again.

These symptoms were preceded by a new shut down sequence. Previously, the entire screen would go to windows "windows is shutting down..." screen, but since these symptoms started, a smaller (maybe 2x6 inches on the screen) Windows XP blue box appears saying "windows is shutting down..."

About 13 pages down a fellow suggested this was a windows update problem. The next poster stated that "this could not be the case, or lots of other folks would be having the same problem." From what I am finding during a search, there ARE a lot of XP users having this problem. Probably more prevalant for those of us who leave the computer on 24/7 as it takes several hours to manifest itself.

What I have done so far:

Uninstalled Google desktop (was giving "could not upgrade database" error)
Uninstalled AVG 2011
installed Avira Anti-Vir
Installed and scanned with SUPERantiSpyware

Any suggestions?

Edited by Trouble68, 02 December 2010 - 03:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trouble68

Trouble68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:03 PM

IN watching the similar topic http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic364450.html

I got the idea that the CPU may be overheating. Even when running no load my processor cores were at 58*C/136*F and I keep the house below 70*F in the winter.

I entered the BIOS and changed the fan setting from "Optimum" to "Performance" mode as well as cleaning out any dust from the vents. My computer sits on the floor so the air is not that warm down there, but the circulation could be stopped up a bit.

Since making the change the cores have been running 42-44*C and I have not had a problem (today anyway, fingers crossed)
Perhaps these quad core chips are more heat sensitive than the older single-core cpus (e.g. Pentium 4)?
I read a maximum operating temp of 100*C and I don't think I was approaching THAT hot, but perhaps once getting out of optimum 30-60*C range things start to get haywire..?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:04 PM

After reading the first paragraph...my guess was overheating.

Same guess by end of post.

Excessive heat is the enemy of any system and the various components, that's why fans, heatsinks, and proper ventilation and cleanliness are important. Even more so on a cramped laptop.

<<...none of these problems applies when in Vista)>>

That refutes the overheating theory and points to either a corrupt XP install or possibly XP NTFS file system. Or hard drive problems.

I think I'd move all data files from that partition...then run chkdsk /r on that partition.

For my own peace of mind...I'd follow that with the appropriate hard drive diagnostic available at the website of the hard drive manufacturer.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users