Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory problem, graphics problem or a virus??

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kathrose

kathrose

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:31 PM

Hi everyone new to posting in forums but I really have a problem I can't figure out.
My System is as follows
Laptop Acer Aspire 5670, T2300 @1.66 GHZ
XP Home Edition, version 2002, with service pack 3
C drive is 44.3GB, 26GB free space
1GB of Ram
Virtual Memory is managed by the system, current setting shows max of 3066MB
Visual Effects = Let Windows Decided.

Problem started a few weeks ago. First instance happened while I was searching with Google and it sort of went blank. Kind of hard to describe. Somethings were there and others weren't. Some lines showed the whole title of the search item others just the underline. I closed my browser and opened task manager to see if I could see if anything was hogging memory or if anything unusual was running that I didn't recognize. It too was acting strange. In the process tab only about half of the image names were visible at one time, the rest of the spots were invisible however the were "blinking" (for lack of a better word) on and off. There was no information visible in any of the other columns.

During this time I noticed my start button went blank and that the names of the icons on my desktop kind of went blurry. Things got progressively worse till everything froze and I had to use the off button to reboot my computer.

I thought perhaps it was Firefox as I had just recently installed it so I removed it. Still had the same problem.
I have since then cleaned out a lot of garbage from the computer. Run MBam, CCleaner, Done various anti virus scans including Avira, AVG (ran its roolkit scanner too), Trend Housecall. They all come up clean but I am still having the problem.
If I notice it starting to happen and I'm fast enough I can actually click start and shutdown my computer properly. If not then its hold the off button for the count of 5, restart and let it do a check disk, which also has been coming up clean.

Sorry if this post is long I'm just trying to include as much info as I can.
Any help or idea's on how to solve my problem will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:48 PM

Take a look at the temps it is running at just a hunch.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Kram B

Kram B

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:42 AM

Have you tried using the Avira Rescue CD?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users