Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP freezes in the morning

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 TripodBob

TripodBob

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:15 PM

This is a week old clean install of Windows XP Home Edition to a freshly formatted harddrive. SP3 and all updates from Windows Update have been added. Computer runs fine all day but problems show up in the morning (computer is not shutdown over night). Upon trying to start Internet Explorer 8 I get the following messages: "iexplore.exe Application Error" the application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Underneath this window there is another window that says "C:Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service. At this point the computer freezes and must be rebooted.
In the Event Viewer for 'system' I find the following 2 errors.... source: sr 'the system restore filter encountered the unexpected error 0xc000009A while processing the file '2' on the volume Harddiskvolume1.' source: VolSnap ' the shadow copy of volume C: was aborted because of a failed freespace computation'
Seatools says the harddrive is OK. Memtest86+ V4.10 says the 4 gigs of memory are OK. System File Checker using a slipstreamed SP3 XP install CD finds no problems with system files. The computer runs with Windows Defender; Malwarebytes with Protection Module; and Avira. I have had no alarms from any of these 3 programs.
Any help as to where to look next is appreciated.

TripodBob

Edited by hamluis, 05 December 2010 - 05:25 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pntblltrc4

pntblltrc4

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:22 AM

Sounds like a HD issue to me. Even if seatools is saying its good to go, it may have some bad sectors on the disc. How full is the HD. I would also try googling burnintest they have a 30 day trial of their software and it will have a HD, Memory, CPU Test on it.
Isaiah 54:17
No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue [that] shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This [is] the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness [is] of me, saith the LORD.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:41 AM

Did you run the long test with Seatools?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 TripodBob

TripodBob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for quick response.

BurninTest found no errors.
I was wrong about using SeaTools on the Hard drive. I actually used the Data Lifeguard extended test which also found no errors. BTW computer froze this morning with usual errors.

TripodBob

#5 TripodBob

TripodBob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:30 AM

Oh yea, I forgot...hard drive is 320 gig SATA with only 15 gig used.

TripodBob

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:58 AM

Rebooting may take care of this problem.

Try running chkdsk c: /r

Go to Start, click on Run, and type cmd in the box and then click OK.

A black page will open with a blinking cursor, either copy and paste or type in chkdsk c: /r, then press Enter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 TripodBob

TripodBob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:14 PM

Chkdsk c: /r says the volume is clean.

TripodBob

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:51 PM

Possibly useful, http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=34&eventno=5113&source=VolSnap&phase=1

<<system restore filter encountered the unexpected error 0xc000009A while processing the file '2' on the volume...>>

I'd suspect infection, since the above is not a common file name. All Google efforts I find for this specific error message...all possess routine filenames.

Why was the reinstall attempted/done?

Louis

#9 TripodBob

TripodBob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:26 PM

I began experiencing random, infrequent hangs (various programs) with the computer last month and looked at doing a repair install of XP. Install CD could not find a bootable version of Windows on the drive, although Windows still loaded and ran normally most of the time. Hang problems became more frequent and I tried repair install a week ago with same results, no windows found by installation CD.
I then went to Recovery Console and bootcfg /scan found Windows; bootcfg /list did not find any Windows.
Fixmbr warned of a non-standard bootrecord. I tried a combination of fixboot and fixmbr but still kept getting warnings of non-standard boot. I then said 'heck with it' and used Recovery Console to reformat harddrive and then did a clean install of Windows which formatted the drive again.
I've used the Recovery Console to check the drive after the clean install and boot record looks OK now and the installation CD can see the installed version of Windows. The current problems showed up right after the clean install.

TripodBob

#10 pntblltrc4

pntblltrc4

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:52 PM

Do you have any scheduled taks running?
Isaiah 54:17
No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue [that] shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This [is] the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness [is] of me, saith the LORD.

#11 TripodBob

TripodBob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:14 AM

I disabled scheduled tasks yesterday. There was only 1 self-installed HP task with the usual obscure program name, probably something to do with my HP printer. Computer hung again this morning.

TripodBob

Edited by TripodBob, 04 December 2010 - 09:14 AM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:58 AM

Just to clarify...you do have a Western Digital hard drive?

Running the tests developed by a different hard drive manufacturer...normally is not reliable, IMO.

If the hard drive really is good...my next thought would turn to the PSU as a possible culprit.

Louis

#13 TripodBob

TripodBob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:23 AM

Drive is Western Digital. I had 2 drives running OK when the problems started last month. I had the current SATA Western Digital and a PATA SeaGate/Maxtor harddrive.
When I started having problems I used Seatools to check the PATA drive and Western Digital product to check Western Digital drive. I used extended test on both drives and both drives passed with no errors. I physically removed the PATA drive before I reformated the Western Digital drive for Windows clean install. PATA drive is still removed.

I'll throw another PSU in today.

Talking earlier about scheduled tasks got me thinking...I no longer have anything in the XP scheduled tasks program but I do have Windows Defender set up to scan sometime in the very early morning and Avira scheduled to scan early morning also. I've had both running for months with no problems but I'll stop both scans for now and see what happens tomorrow morning. I'll save changing out power supply for tomorrow if needed.

TripodBob

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:34 AM

If they are running scans at the same time this can certainly create a problem.

#15 TripodBob

TripodBob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:38 PM

Windows Defender was set to scan at 2:00 AM. Avira was set for 7:00 AM. Malwarebytes is still set for 5:00 AM. I'll disable that one also.

TripodBob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users