Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ports won't recognize anything

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mechem

mechem

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:12 AM

My USB ports front and back have power but will not recognize anything plugged in to them. Digital camera, iPod and external hard drive are all always plugged in but now are not recognized.

I checked some things through device manager and everything seems to be working correct through there. Could this somehow be virus related? I did get an AVG threat alert a week or so ago but there was no record of it in the logs and this problem started yesterday. My scans seem to come up clean. System is a desktop SOny Vaio PCV-RS610 with Windows XP SP3. Thanks for you help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:33 AM

Go to the Device Manager (Start> Run, type in mmc devmgmt.msc and click OK.

When the Device Manager opens right click on your computer at the top of the column, and then click on Scan for hardware changes.

Posted Image

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:44 AM

Although I am not 100% sure, but you may have had a file in your system32/drivers folder that was deleted during the removal of a infected file.

Most of these driver files start with the letters USB and have the .SYS extension.

One that comes to mind is USBHUB.SYS, USBD.SYS. These a only a few examples, there are more USB related .SYS files than this in the SYSTEM32/DRIVERS folder.

You should investigate the possibility of one of the .sys files related to USB as missing or corrupted.

You can try using the System File Checker by going to the run command and typing the following text.

SFC /SCANNOW

Then hit enter.

You may need the windows OS install disk for this version of Windows during this procedure.

This should replace or repair any corrupted or missing drivers.

Last solution is to make sure USB is still enabled in your computer's BIOS setup utility.
You can enter this during bootup, just before the Windows splash screen appears, hit the proper keys to enter setup.

Hope this helps.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 mechem

mechem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:52 PM

Thank you for the responses.

I did the scan for hardware changes and nothing found. Device manager says all USB ports are working properly.

MrBruce1959: I had not removed any files AFAIK prior to this happening. I did do the sfc /scannow and no help. I see all those USB files in Sys32/drivers but not sure what else to do. I checked the BIOS and it says the USB is enabled.

I have tried pretty much every suggestion I have found, uninstall reinstall drivers, unplug computer, even opened it up and cleaned some dust away. I'm really at a loss. Is there any way to tell if it's a virus or similar or do I just give up the ghost and attribute it to a Mobo failure...which I relaly don't think is the cause. All USB ports front and back have power they just don't recognize anything.

Any thing else to try?

Edited by mechem, 02 December 2010 - 06:57 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

Have you tried restarting the computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 mechem

mechem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:23 AM

About 50 times :-(

Someone suggested updating chipset driver. Any idea how to do that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users