Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connected to internet, but IE and FFox won't load pages

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Caffeine88

Caffeine88

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:55 PM

Unfortunately, I don't know how long this has been going on. The problem is on my desktop, running Windows XP SP2. My kids have complained about the internet not working quite right for a while, but I didn't quite understand the severity of the problem. I have a good internet connection, as evidenced by the fact that other laptops connected wirelessly to the same router have no problem. The desktop is hardwired to the router, and it will even execute automatic updates - download and install - but I cannot connect to the internet through Internet Explorer or Firefox. I get a blank white screen from both browsers, and they connect to nothing.

I'm using Windows Firewall and AVG Free 8.5 Antivirus.

I've run CCleaner to get rid of any registry errors and clean out all the temp files and caches.

I've tried resetting the DNS via the command prompt.

Windows troubleshooter says there is no problem with the internet connection.

I found one helpful chap who suggested it was the AVG toolbar (LinkScanner?) in the browser that was preventing the pages from opening. The solution was supposed to be to uninstall AVG, and presto! However, the end result is that I don't have an anti-virus program on the desktop, I still can't connect to the internet, and I can't download AVG to reinstall.

I've uninstalled all the extra software that I recognize as not being useful or current.

The last few reboots have been slow, and I get an an error that tells me that there's a problem with remind_XP.exe. I do have an HP printer connected to the printer, but it's an eMachine T3104 that's several years old - not an HP. I've seen other suggestions to make back-up disks and this warning will go away, but I don't think they're relevant. Unfortunately, I do not know when this error has started to occur relative to the internet problem.

The wireless connection, the hardwired connection, and my LAN are working. I can access files on the desktop via the LAN from my laptop through the router.

Anyone got a suggestion? I've searched for similar topics, but I didn't find anything. If someone has already solved this - please point me to the thread.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:21 AM

Hi -
Try this item , just an idea -
  • Open Internet Explorer
  • Note: It MUST be Internet Explorer, not Firefox, Opera, Chrome or any other internet browser
  • Click on Tools at the top and select Internet Options
  • Note: If you do not see Tools, press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will show up
  • Click on the Connections tab
  • Click on the LAN settings button
  • Under Automatic configuration make sure that the box next to Automatically detect settings is checked, if it is not, then click the box next to it to check it
  • Click on the OK button to close the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window
  • Click on the OK button to close the Internet Options window
  • Use This Diagram as a guide
EDIT -After this , make sure you update to XP SP3 to get all the latest updates for your XP -
Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 02 December 2010 - 06:24 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:42 AM

A warning about ccleaner's registry cleaner.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

As for removing temp files, there is a better tool for this than ccleaner.

Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
  • Save any unsaved work. (TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!)
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. (If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose "Run As Administrator".)
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users