Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes!

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Zipere

Zipere

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:17 PM

Hello, my computer was just built a few weeks ago. Ever since the first or second day of having the computer on, or in a video game, the computer will freeze. I will have to hit the restart button in the front of the case to get back to windows.

The first week it happened a couple times a day. So I called my friend,...

After speaking with my friend who helped me build the computer he wasn't really sure. I read some things on google. Some are saying they had problems like mine, something to do with memory and bios not set to the right (???) something I can't remember.

The second week of having it the freezes are less frequent, and the computer seems to only do it when it's on for more then 4-6 hours. (Not necessarily in a video game just on and used for that duration of time.)

The third week or present time, the freeze only happens when the computer is on for quite sometime, like the entire day. (this all my be coincidence, but who knows?)

Additional information,

All the times that the computer froze, I would immediately reach for the restart button and press it, to possibly prevent damage to the computer. Although tonight I decided to wait about 20-30 seconds. With no prevail I pressed the restart button. After doing so, windows WOULD NOT load. Which was odd. So I ran the system fix, and it said that it could not be fixed automatically and had me send the report to Microsoft. It did say on the report however, Problem destination = (1). (Or something like that I can't remember)

I'm not very inclined to go Google searching for the newest bios settings and all that, because I don't want to hose my computer. If someone could locate the problem with me I'd be more than happy to do so. But I don't want to do the "trial and (possible) error" routine with a brand new computer.

!!(OH! and ALSO all my drivers are up-to-date! I have AVG (free edition) installed, no virus's are present.)!!

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks a lot!

Edited by Zipere, 02 December 2010 - 12:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zipere

Zipere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:54 AM

Any help ? :(

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:28 AM

Was the hdd used in this build a new one?

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:39 PM

AVG is having some problems. You can start troubleshooting from there ... Uninstall AVG, use the 'removal' tool to make sure it's totally removed http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools

Download and update Microsoft Security Essentials http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Try running your computer as you always would and see if you still have the same problems. Also make sure it's not over heating.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 Zipere

Zipere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:13 PM

Alright I downloaded that "speccy program," and here is the link: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/WZICJkwkGnCKoddLrFZWVji

Jacee, I believe my computer isn't over-heating It seems quite cool when I put my hand near the back and put my hand inside the case after taking the cover off. But just to make sure how would I check the degrees of all my components and what their stable temperatures should be?

On a side note. I also un-installed AVG to test a few things. Seems the problem is still persisting. I also had the computer randomly restart the other day, instead of freezing. So I'm not sure if that's related.

Let me know ! and thanks for the continued help!

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:09 PM

Have you run a test on the memory? http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/715-memory-diagnostics-tool.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 Zipere

Zipere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:00 PM

Yes I have. Ran one the first week. No problems were detected.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,803 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:09 PM

What is the make and model of your motherboard?

What memory test did you run? If it had a short test and a long test which did you run?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 andrewpmathias

andrewpmathias

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:35 PM

From that Speccy screenshot your CPU is at 40 Degrees Celsius. How long was your computer on before that screenshot?

Because if it has been on for a long time then 40C is okay and in the cool range, but if you just started your computer and then took the screenshot, then I suspect your CPU is overheating. In fact, if thats the case I predict whoever built the computer did not use enough or good quality thermal compound on the CPU... or your CPU cooler is not stout enough to cool the processor.

#10 Zipere

Zipere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:12 PM

! Hmm I think my computer was on for quite some time when I took that screenshot. I will try it again and leave it on for several hours.

Also when you say the thermal compound, the cpu came with a thermal compound "pre-applied" when I read about the cpu's compound people said that I would need to upgrade. I actually bought a really good compound but it was already applied so I don't know what to do about that?

I'll check the temp after a long time and if it is overheating then I'll let you know.

As for the memory test I'm not really sure what I ran to be honest. I'm going to try running another one right now. I'll keep you updated.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,803 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:25 PM

Try running Memtest86.

***** A. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-....iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-....iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-....iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

#12 Zipere

Zipere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:40 PM

I ran the memory test that is started "within windows 7". The one in control panel -> admin tools. It ran 2 tests. Both of which no problems were found.

My motherboard:

PA76GM5D3
Amd 760G&SB710

It's made by Jetway.OnTheMove

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,803 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:46 PM

Try the Memtest86 please.

#14 Zipere

Zipere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:51 PM

Okie dokie, I have 2 sticks of ram btw. 2gb each.

#15 Zipere

Zipere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:03 PM

yeah I can't figure this out. I don't even know if I have the right cd's to burn it. + when I try and boot it up it says that there is nothing on the disc. Even though the imgburn said that it was successful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users