Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Up option Missing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tybudd

Tybudd

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:09 PM

My system:
I have a system with 2 harddrives, 1 with Windows XP, other with windows 7.

Problem:
I can only run Windows 7 if both HDD's are active and connected.
If I disconnect the Drive with Win XP, I don't even get a boot attempt.
If I disconnect the Drive with Win 7, I get the: "do you want to boot Windows 7 or a older version of windows"
Selection XP boots xp no problem, Selecting Windows 7 creates an error, and like mentioned before, If both are connected, I get the same option, but when I select Windows 7 it boots up with no problems.

My assumption
Windows XP was on teh computer first, when I installed Windows 7, I made the mistake of not Disconnecting the drive with windows XP on it, so I assume that the set up did a check of Windows on my system, and saw that XP already had a boot menu and decided not to make 1 for my Windows 7. So I'll have the option of choosing 1 or the other. Is that right?

Question
If so, how can I make it optional to be able to boot my Windows 7 or XP independantly without 1 needing the other to operate, and without having to go into the bios each time to select the different drive?

Please don't tell me I"m screwed an that I can't get my Windows 7 at minimum to be a stand alone OS, because the drive with the Windows XP is corrupted I think, and I want to get rid of it.

Edit:
I was also told that the 3 drive that I had installed as a storage drive could have been the cause of the corruption error I was getting, is this possible, because this drive has no system information just storage, but at the same time this is the drive that for some reason isn't showing up anymore, shows in bios as being read, but not visable from OS. Could be a coincidence.

Edited by Tybudd, 01 December 2010 - 11:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:38 PM

Yes, your assumption is correct. The bootloader is on the XP drive.

Here's how to give the Windows 7 drive its own bootloader:

Take the XP drive out and leave ONLY the Win7 drive in. Boot off your Win7 install disk. Choose "Repair your computer" instead of "Install Now". It should "recover" the Win7 OS and ask you to reboot. Go ahead and reboot. Boot off the install disk again > Repair your computer > select the OS (Windows 7) > Startup Repair. If it finds anything, it will say so and ask you to reboot. Allow it to reboot again. If Windows 7 won't boot, try another Startup Repair. Sometimes you have to do it twice.

But that should do it.

You might want to remove Windows 7 from the bootloader on the XP drive (which is fairly easy), but I don't think it is absolutely necessary.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Tybudd

Tybudd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:13 AM

You might want to remove Windows 7 from the bootloader on the XP drive (which is fairly easy), but I don't think it is absolutely necessary.

How do you do this if you don't mind me asking?

Also, what if I wanted to later put the XP drive in, but wanted the selection to pull from the boot manager of the Windows 7 OS, or any other OS I might want to add later?

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:02 AM

Well, if it's setup the way I think it is, you should be able to delete it from the Boot tab of msconfig (whilst booted into XP). But sometimes it doesn't show up.

Take a screenshot of msconfig, upload it to Imageshack, and post a link to it here.

As far as having a choice when both drives are in, you'll have to change the boot order in the BIOS (hard drive 1, hard drive 2, CD drive, etc.), or select the boot device manually (F12 gives you boot options on a Dell, the hotkey is different for different brands).

#5 Tybudd

Tybudd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:51 PM

Well, if it's setup the way I think it is, you should be able to delete it from the Boot tab of msconfig (whilst booted into XP). But sometimes it doesn't show up.

Take a screenshot of msconfig, upload it to Imageshack, and post a link to it here.

As far as having a choice when both drives are in, you'll have to change the boot order in the BIOS (hard drive 1, hard drive 2, CD drive, etc.), or select the boot device manually (F12 gives you boot options on a Dell, the hotkey is different for different brands).

Well with the current XP I have, I think I mentioned it above, its corrupt, so it just goes to the Win XP logo when loading, and freezes there when it tries to boot.

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:04 PM

Oh, well then just leave the XP drive out and boot Windows 7.

You can format the XP drive if you wish, assuming you have any valuable data saved elsewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users