Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Oddity On Startup

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:44 PM

Okies, first, this is as much info about my connection as I think you need, though I don't think this has anything to do with my modem or other equipment, though I most certainly could be wrong about that.

DSL connection, using an ethernet connection from the computer to a Vonage phone device (which has four ports for ethernet connection), from the Vonage device to my modem, which is a Westell Model 6100F. If you need other info, please let me know.

This problem only began this morning, and I've tested it several times by shutting down the computer, then starting it up again. It also happens when I do a restart rather than a complete shutdown. When Windows loads, all of my background applications - AV, Firewall, POP3 Email client, etc., load up. However, even though they've all loaded and are all running, it takes my internet connection anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes to "come alive." The internet access icon in the systray doesn't even show up for that long. I've tried resetting the modem - not just turning it off, but disconnecting the Vonage device, plugging directly into my modem, and going into the modem settings. Everything is exactly as it should be. In fact, while I'm waiting for my connection to "go live," I can open the Network and sharing center, check my connection, and it tells me that I'm connected to the internet. However, I can't access the 'net for 5 to 10 minutes after startup.

Does anyone have any clue what might be going on here? Customer service at my ISP sucks - after checking and resetting my modem, they just said, "Well, it's in your computer. We can't help."

Edit to Add: I forgot to mention that when I run the troubleshooter, I get the message, "DNS server isn't responding."

Edited by MelissaPleases, 02 December 2010 - 03:17 AM.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:57 AM

On further research, I've found that this issue traces back to AVG Internet Security 2011. The firewall component does not load when the application starts up. I can either wait for ten minutes or more for the component to load itself, or I can open the interface, and tell AVG to "fix" the issue. Once the firewall component is running, my internet connectivity is no longer an issue.

Does anyone have a clue what might cause this?

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:27 AM

If you look at the Anti Virus forum, you'll find that a lot of users are having trouble with AVG 2011. The ultimate solution seems to be to get rid of AVG and use a different product like Avast or Avira. It seems that AVG has really deteriorated in quality.

#4 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:00 AM

Not what I wanted to hear. $45.00 out the window... :(

Snowden03.png

#5 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

Okay, apparently, AVG is not the culprit here. I disabled AVG in the startup processes, so it didn't load when I booted the machine. The same thing happened. If I'm interpreting that correctly, it means that it's not the firewall taking a long time to initialize that's the problem, rather, it's that the firewall isn't initializing due to the fact that the connection is taking so long to be established. When I started AVG after that boot (once the connection had been established), the firewall initialized immediately when AVG started up.

Any thoughts?

Edited by MelissaPleases, 14 December 2010 - 10:17 AM.

Snowden03.png

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:18 PM

I disabled AVG in the startup processes

In case of AVG, it may be not enough.

I suggest, you uninstall it completely, using AVG Remover: http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools and see how it goes.
You can always reinstall it later.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:45 AM

Okay, I'll try that, Broni. I'm usually pretty brave messing around with stuff, but leaving myself with no antivirus software, even for a very short time, always makes me a little nervous...

I've been hearing some bad stuff about AVG 2011 lately, though, and I may need to dump it. Which is the pits, because after years of using the freebie, I finally decided to buy the Pro version this year... :(

Edited by MelissaPleases, 15 December 2010 - 06:46 AM.

Snowden03.png

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:29 PM

I'm not a big fan of AVG, just so you know.
As long, as you have a firewall ON, you're perfectly fine to disable your AV program for limited amount of time.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#9 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:11 AM

Okay, the same thing happens even with AVG completely uninstalled. When I boot the computer, I have the little blue ring that indicates "working" on my internet connection icon in the systray - this lasts for anywhere from five to ten minutes. I don't have to do anything to make it connect, it just takes it forever to make that connection.

This isn't something really critical - my computer is actually powered on most of the time. But after I do, say, a Windows update, I usually have to reboot, and it's a pain that it takes so long for the machine to reconnect to the internet.

Snowden03.png

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:00 PM

Restart computer in Safe Mode with Networking and see, if same delay happens.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:23 PM

No delay when starting in safe mode with networking. What does that indicate?

Snowden03.png

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:27 PM

Apparently, something kicks in in normal mode, resulting in a delay.

Let's try this...

Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:44 AM

Nope - that worked. Internet connection was made immediately upon Windows desktop loading. Since AVG isn't on the machine at the moment, I have no idea what this could be.

Snowden03.png

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:49 PM

Good :)
We're getting somewhere.

We'll proceed with two steps now.

Firstly re-enable all items, you just disabled. That was for testing purposes only.

Get AppRemover: http://www.appremover.com/ and see, if it'll find any AVG leftovers.
Let me know, how it went....

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:26 AM

As a matter of routine, whenever I uninstall any app, I always run the Eusing Free Registry cleaner. It found something like 50 leftovers in the registry from AVG, which have now been removed.

I downloaded App Remover. When I tried to run it, it sat there with a blank screen, and would do nothing. In looking at the screenshots on the site, it appears that it never loaded completely. So, I tried running it from the site rather than saving it and then running it; I received an error from Opera telling me that there is no registered application to run the program.

At any rate, at least as far as the registry goes, I believe that all traces of AVG have been removed. A reboot, and the internet connection is made immediately when the desktop loads.

Now, unless there's more I need to do at this point, I'm going to continue using Windows firewall, and download Avira for my antivirus app, which I've seen some good reviews about.

Snowden03.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users