Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Amilo Li1818 not charging!!!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:31 PM

Hi guys.

I've had a Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Li1818 for 1 year I bought it of a friend at work because he couldn't get the wifi to work. Its worked perfectly for the past year until a few days ago. I generally turn the laptop on so its starting up with I sort the charger and leads out. A few days ago I pressed the start button but nothing happened I plugged in the mains connected and pressed the start again and it would start. I noticed if you check the charging (in systray) it says 0% available, (plugged in not charging). I checked the charger which is 20v DC and it showed 19.8v for a split second then open circuit. I checked it a few times and it showed the same reading. Now it must be getting a feed from the mains because if you unplug it shuts down and goes dead. I have a new 12v charger that I bought so I could use it in the car and that shows the same result (plugged in not charging).

I tried to unscrew all the screws in the base so I could check for bad connection but I couldn't get the bottom off without forcing it. Now the battery isn't brilliant it used to run for 15-20 minutes before it shut down without charge. Does anyone know of any checks or solutions for this problem. I don't mined buying a new battery if that will cure the problem. I'm not sure how these charging systems work I'm only used to vehicle charging systems. Even if a vehicle battery is duff it will still try and charge it.

Now I know some laptops have a discharge switch on the battery so you can totally discharge it before you charge up again. I can't find any switch but this link talks about using a energy wire. Does anyone know what that means?

Extend the lifetime of your rechargeable battery

If it did need a new battery which are the best to use as they vary in price from 22 to 85, a cheap one or the dearest one?

I appreciate any help you can give me. :wink:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:41 PM

Hi, i suggest that you buy a new battery ,as for price difference ,you get what you pay for ,cheaper not always being the best deal

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:53 PM

Cheers for the only reply.

I was thinking about getting a new battery as its the original which is 5 years old. I know you get what you pay for but I may as well get the 22 one just to see if it corrects the no charge problem. There isn't much point in spending 85 if it still doesn't charge is there? I only gave him 50 for the laptop. :wink:

Keith

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:50 PM

Cheers for the only reply.

I was thinking about getting a new battery as its the original which is 5 years old. I know you get what you pay for but I may as well get the 22 one just to see if it corrects the no charge problem. There isn't much point in spending 85 if it still doesn't charge is there? I only gave him 50 for the laptop. :wink:

i agree i would buy ,and do buy cheap ones on e-bay when needed

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:30 AM

Yes I bought the cheapest one last night.

Battery L51-3S4400-C1P3 Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 1818

Now the strange thing is some batteries are 11.1v and some are 14.8v mine is marked 14.8v so I had that one. :wink:

Keith

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:08 PM

good luck ,

#7 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:59 PM

Ok guys I think I've found the solution. I've had a reply back of the Fujitsu Technology Solutions - Forum I joined when I first found this fault. I've have had one reply back today.

It appears its a plugged in not charging message was an inherent problem in vista

http://forum.ts.fujitsu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=43562

I went into Device Manager and uninstalled Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery then scanned for new hardware. It may have been charging before as it says the battery is 100% charged. I unplugged the power lead and it runs of the battery.

Now its very strange this happend as there has been no hardware or software update so why did it say plugged in not charging?

Well it appears its another glitch of Vista so thats another one to add to the list. I shall just wait for the new battery to come from China.

What are you thoughts in charging all the time? I know mine has always been plugged in because the battery would only last 15-20 minutes. The spec of a new machine says 2 hours depending on use. So when the new battery comes and its been charged up do I unplug the power and let it use the battery until the warning comes on? When its unplugged the screen goes a bit darker probably to save on the battery which I don't like. Some laptops have a battery discharge switch but mine doesn't is there a way to discharge the battery?

Thanks for your suggestions guys this will be an handy tip for other Vista laptop users.

Cheers. :wink:

Keith

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:35 AM

great to here there is a fix ,
good old Vista ,i never did use it went from xp to win7 .
as for discharging it i just used the laptop unplugged until the message and then plugged it back in ,good luck

#9 yorkred

yorkred

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:49 PM

great to here there is a fix ,
good old Vista ,i never did use it went from xp to win7 .
as for discharging it i just used the laptop unplugged until the message and then plugged it back in ,good luck

but you should be able to go into the BIOS and watch your battery charge if it is low, and that has nothing to do with Vista

#10 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:51 AM

Update:

Its stopped charging a couple of months ago so I'm back on battery searches. The one I ordered before Christmas never arrived I had to put a complaint into eBay to get my money back. I've search since and there are batteries that say they are compatible 2200MAH Battery Advent 7113 7109A 7109B L51-4S2000-G1L1 so I ordered one. When it came it wouldn't fit (what a surprise) so I had another refund. I asked all the other sellers are you sure its compatible with a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 1818, they said no they said they would remove that model from the sale spec but they haven't? Whats the point in saying its compatible when its not?

The only other batteries that I've found are 70-90 which I'm not paying. If anyone knows a place that sells 14.8v batteries for a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 1818 please drop me a line. :wink:

Keith

#11 Keithuk

Keithuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:16 AM

Update:

Well I've found a battery at last and it plugs in and charges from

http://www.laptopbattery4u.co.uk/replacement-for-fujitsu-siemens-amilo-li-1818-1820-amilo-pa-1510-2510--p-6851.html

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users