Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP will not start

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 drg3824

drg3824

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:04 PM

Windows xp will not start. It acts like it wants to but then a blue screen pops up and tells me that it might be a s/w or a h/w problem but is not specific. Also it says to press f8 and re start in safe mode. Won't do that either and goes back to the blue screen. I am told to purchase an "xp disc" or a "restore disc" and that will fix the problem. Is this true? I find the disc's in question to be very reasonably priced. This computer is a Dell and is gone when tax refund time comes. Thanks.

Edited by drg3824, 01 December 2010 - 07:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:09 PM

Do you have the Dell Installation CD's available?

What is on this computer, and is it important?

#3 drg3824

drg3824
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:21 PM

I think i still have some kind of installation disc, i'm gonna look right now. Nothing on the computer that is terribly important that i can't recover at some point. If i do or do not find a disc of some kind i will re post. This site came highly recomended to me today at work and so far i like what i see. Another thing is that this Dell is GONE!!! as soon as the tax refunds start coming. With O/T cut, hours reduced, and Christmas coming i can't afford a new computer right now. Thanks.

Edited by drg3824, 01 December 2010 - 07:23 PM.

#4 drg3824

drg3824
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

found a lot of junk but no install cd. What do you think about an xp disc that is supposed to fix this mess? Gonna look around a little more, maybe i can find something. Will advise.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:06 AM

Well some of the recommended fixes may require the use of the installation cd, so having it handy is a way of being prepared if that is the case.

Do you know the specs of the computer, and if so can you list them.

Well if you are going to get rid of it, then I would suggest maybe replacing the hard drive or installing another OS on it like Ubuntu to give away to someone.

#6 drg3824

drg3824
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:45 PM

I appreciate all the help. Went to bestbuy today and asked the geek squad people what they thought. i might as well just buy a system restore disk and at least get it up and running. I'm gonna replace the dell in a couple months anyway but i don't wanna continue to use my 3 boys computers too. What pisses me off is that i can't find the disk's that came with this thing with 5 or 6 years ago, plus it's probably time to replace it anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users