Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No audio being produced

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rent_Treznor

Rent_Treznor

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:41 PM

When I try to adjust the volume, it says "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware." I tried what it said, but it didn't work. Also, I checked to see if windows audio had started, and it claims it has, yet there's no sound. Lastly, I tried to reinstall my audio drivers from Dell's website and an error keeps inhibiting the installation of the SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio driver.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bradumd

bradumd

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:08 PM

what is the model of your computer?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:53 AM

If you look in the Device Manager under Sound, video and game controllers, do you see any errors?

Start> Run. Type in mmc devmgmt.msc and click OK. Scroll down till you find Sound, video and game controllers. Click on the + in the box to the left of this to expand the tree.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Rent_Treznor

Rent_Treznor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:59 PM

what is the model of your computer?

The dell model is the xps 410.

#5 Rent_Treznor

Rent_Treznor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:01 PM

If you look in the Device Manager under Sound, video and game controllers, do you see any errors?

Start> Run. Type in mmc devmgmt.msc and click OK. Scroll down till you find Sound, video and game controllers. Click on the + in the box to the left of this to expand the tree.

I've checked device manager quite a few times, and I haven't been able to find any errors or yellow exclamation marks.

#6 emfederin

emfederin

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:14 PM

I tried to reinstall my audio drivers from Dell's website and an error keeps inhibiting the installation of the SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio driver.

What kind of error? Can you give a verbatim?

If the error was a "file in use" type of error, you should try installing the drivers in "safe mode".

#7 Rent_Treznor

Rent_Treznor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:49 PM

Ok, so the dell website led me to the SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio driver. Once I downloaded it, I double clicked the executable and allowed the program to extract its files. Then the problem begins where the sigmatel installation encounters an error and states "an error (-5009: 0x8002802b) has occured while running the setup. Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications. If this error still occurs., please contact your vendor: Sigmatel. (http://www.SigmaTel.com)."

#8 emfederin

emfederin

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:23 AM

the sigmatel installation encounters an error and states "an error (-5009: 0x8002802b) has occured while running the setup. Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications. If this error still occurs., please contact your vendor: Sigmatel. (http://www.SigmaTel.com)."

Heh..sigmatel.com is dead.

Try this:

Go to this directory: C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime
Delete the subfolder "10"

Now rightclick on the installer and drag it to an empty spot on your desktop and create a shortcut to the installer.
Rightclick on the shortcut and choose "properties".
In the "Target:" window, go to the end of the path/filename, and AFTER the last quotemark, type a space and then "/wait", to wit:
"C:\yada\yada\yada\installername.exe" /wait

Click OK to save it, and then doubleclick the shortcut to run the installer with the "wait" option.

And good luck. Your errorcode fills pages upon pages of google; "Installshield professional" seems to be buggier than an antfarm.

Edited by emfederin, 05 December 2010 - 02:26 AM.

#9 emfederin

emfederin

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:48 AM

The rationale as far as I can tell is this:
Apparently installshield professional threads itself improperly by allowing one part of the program to attempt to utilize a file that another part of the program hasn't created yet.
The "5009" means "Installshield error", and the "0x8002802b" means "file not found".
However, the failed installation has already created a tracking folder, and gets prissy when you try to run it again. (Some other "fixes" I've seen for this are to just rename the entire "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional" to "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional.old". Others say to delete the "professional" directory, but that bothers me - I opted to delete the specific subfolder it created: "10")
And finally, the "/wait" option apparently tells the installshield to process everything sequentially.

So ummm...yeah..."good luck" with that <_<

Edited by emfederin, 05 December 2010 - 02:49 AM.

#10 Rent_Treznor

Rent_Treznor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:17 PM

I forgot to mention something that might be of importance. Under the device manager where the "sound, video and game controllers" tab is, I clicked + to expand the directory, and I right clicked the "sigmatel high definition audio codec", and chose properties. In the box that appeared, it gave 3 additional tabs, one of them being properties. I clicked on that and found "audio devices", "midi devices and instruments" and "mixer devices". And when I looked at the properties of each device, there's a message saying "Driver is enabled but has not been started".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users