Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cure for Autism?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bunny_fish

bunny_fish

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:14 PM

is a cure for autism wrong?

personally, i think it would be a good thing, but there are people that say its unthinkable.

is it a gift or a disease to be cured?

those with low functionality who can't take care of themselves would be better off, right?
but there's different types of autism.

what are your thoughts, forum peoples?

i <3 eggnog

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:52 AM

Just to put a note down for the uninformed (and I'm not shunning or anything to the above poster...this really is for the uninformed)...please...for the love of god...don't EVER call it a disease...it's not a micro-organism that invades the mind to do what it wants like a bacteria or virus. It's a mental condition where the brain is essentially wired in a different way causing different functions in a very very very quick nutshell (which explained absolutely nothing and is probably the wrong analogy. Sorry about that).

Now back to my opinion.

As someone who has a form of autism (Asperger's Syndrome to be exact), I don't feel it's right to say to find a "cure" for autism. Autism isn't always a bad thing, but some people, unfortunately, have such bad symptoms of it that it makes it harder for them to function normally in society.

Finding a cure for it is near impossible as it's more of a brain issue than anything that can be done by pill popping or such. That's like saying that a lobotomy was a good thing to do when it had more risks than rewards, IMO, as it had a chance of death or permanent damage to other hemispheres to the brain (correct me if I'm wrong about lobotomy).

Is it unthinkable to find a cure? I don't know. Some people take it as an over-reaction of what a "cure" is as it could be something like behavioral therapy to just function in society instead of "fixing" the brain. Is it nearly impossible with what we know of the brain in today's society? Yes. People with autism have been popping up lately as techniques in diagnosing someone has changed (it used to have been generalized as something like "Oh, this one has ADD" or "That one has [insert random mental condition that has similarities to autism]).

However, finding a way to help the people with it is another subject matter. Depending on the type of autism they have, behavioral therapy can be a good thing for people when they want to be able to function normally in society.

Now, just to put this down. Autism isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes, it can be good as it allows one to be able to think on a different level than the average person. This can go as far as someone being a savant in a subject or something, being very brilliant in said subject matter because of their intensive focus on a subject of interest. What kinds of subjects can this focus on? Well.......anything. This can be from multiple ranges such as someone who can program to someone who can understand the inner workings of the human body just as well as the next person over. Albeit, this isn't always true for all people with autism....just really depends on who has what and how it affects them.

I'm not the most verse on the subject of autism, so excuse me for anything that sounds odd to someone who does know it very well.

For those that want to read a little more, you can search around the internet for information. Wikipedia is usually pretty good about that subject as well. Here's some links to information that I just randomly searched in the past minute (lol :P). Those links are a lot more informative than I ever could be.

https://health.google.com/health/ref/Autism
http://kidshealth.org/kid/health_problems/brain/autism.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/HighFunctioningAutism
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/AspergerSyndrome

Notes: The last one in particular is Asperger's Syndrome, but it can also apply to autism in some areas as it does talk about it a bit. Also, be careful about clicking links in the last two as TVTropes has a vast array of information regarding devices used in movies, games, and etc. They just conveniently have an area where there's useful notes about some stuff (such as the two links I provided). Why should you be careful? This is why (Also....I know this because I've been doing it everyday for the past couple of years :D)

Edited by scff249, 19 December 2010 - 02:54 AM.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#3 Mman19

Mman19

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

I don't think finding a "cure" or referring to said cure as a "cure" is wrong, while autism isn't always completely debilitating, it still is a state of being in which the mind isn't running at 100%. Although cure may not be the correct term...

I'm reading a book by Mark Hyman, The Ultramind Solution, which proposes that nutrition is the primary cause for most illness, physical and mental. There is a very interesting part about a kid diagnosed with autism having dramatic recovery from excluding grain and dairy from his diet.

Ultramind Solution Success Stories

#4 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:09 AM

After reading through my last post, I'm going to take back one of my comments and say that finding a solution for autism is fine for those where it's extremely debilitating for them where they can't function normally (whatever that's supposed to mean since that can mean anything on any level of "normal function"...). Of course, I'm not sure of what a severe case of autism is like, so I can't really say much on that notion either and it's still up for grabs in that regard for me....

Mman19, it's not really a state of being of the mind running at 100%, it's really more like the state of being where your mind is wired differently to where something else is running higher than those other cognitive skills like social functions depending on the autism.

Most researchers can't seem to find a definitive reason as to what causes autism and why. The closest they could come is that it may have something to do with family history (one prevalent theory floating around) or it could have something to do with how the brain is developed, per se, before birth (another prevalent theory floating around). Pointing nutrition to autism is like trying to say that the cause of autism is from vaccines (or something to do with Vitamin D or rain or mercury or etc). If nutrition really was the solution, then that would've fixed the problem years ago.

Also, what's posted with that article in regards to autism isn't actually an actual case of classical Autism. It belongs to something else, as the article mentions, called PDD-NOS (or Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified [talk about a mouthful....]). It only has similar symptoms and not the actual defining traits of autism; thus, cannot be clinically autism. It works for that specific case (and maybe others that are like it), but for the entire gamut of autism, it doesn't work. Then there's this question: "Is it really any form of autism or is it just because of a weird dietary issue that caused him to have something similar to autism but was misdiagnosed?" I'm not sure as I'm not a doctor or any form of a therapist.

For all, sorry if I'm somehow sounding a little "elitist" per se. This is just a bit of a touchy subject for me. Also, excuse me if I'm seemingly taking up a spotlight here. I'm just oddly the only one talking about it...... :unsure:

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#5 salm37

salm37

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:06 PM

I heard thru diet you can..There is a book out from a doctor that has a 75% cure rate from autism...heard him on the 700 club...friday....The mother and her child are were on there...real..cool..access the cbn web site

#6 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:43 AM

I can tell you for a fact that diet has nothing to do with Asperger's Syndrome. It is a difference in development in one specific area of the brain. True Autism has also been studied to determine whether diet had any influence in May of last year. It made no difference. What diet does do is help control some of the behaviours caused by excitement or restlessness that food reactions can cause.

My older son has Asperger's and was quite the handful when young. Heaven only knows why mashed potatoes turned him into the demonic child from Hades, but it did. Removing mashed potatoes did not remove the Asperger's, just made it moderately easier to live with until he outgrew it.

#7 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:11 PM

Now I feel a bit better now that someone else is talking besides me......

Like I said before, more or less, diet as a cure isn't a viable option by the fact that it's a behavioral disorder, not a dietary disorder. Why diet changes someone's behavior, I don't know.

And yay. Someone who's more on the normal side who can give their experience with Autism/Asperger's/related instead of someone who is autistic and can give only so much information.

....I feel like an idiot. Will be shutting up. *dope-slaps self*

Edited by scff249, 12 March 2011 - 11:11 PM.

#8 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:00 AM

My son considers Asperger\s Syndrome to be a gift and himself to be a step up on the evolutionary scale. We have gone through several "hooks" and obsessions over the years, but he tends to maintain a steady interest in all things animal, vegetable or mineral. He can tell you all things about most animals, land or marine, all of the ranks in at least three countries militaries, all manner of aircraft, and weaponry, including bullet weights and calibre. His memory for details is amazing. The problem is that most people have a hard time maintaining an interest in conversation those things, and he has yet to find a practical use for the knowledge.

#9 Hotter Than July

Hotter Than July

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:13 PM

I don't mean to say that autism is good or bad, but I do have my share of experience with it as my older brother and a few good freinds of mine are affected with Asperger's.

A cure is not essentially wrong or right, but could be practical in the most debilitating cases. Autism can be looked at negatively or positive, it depends on your outlook. As mentioned earlier, my brother and a few freinds of mine have Asperger's, but are some of the smartest people I know- my older brother even has an IQ of 168, however they have their social difficulties.

I don't think a cure would be completely awesome or abseloutely terrible, as long as people are given an option to use it or not.
"Snake, you have to use the control panel."

#10 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:31 PM

I don't know if a cure is possible, but if it was, I think it would generally be a good thing, though people shouldn't be forced to be 'cured'.

Aspergers is one of my diagnoses.

#11 MegaDan5

MegaDan5

• Members
  • 214 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:46 PM

A cure would be nice for those of us who have lower-spectrum forms of autism (I was diagnosed as "High-functioning autistic", more commonly known as Asperger's Syndrome), but let higher-function autistics decide for themselves whether or not they wanna be cured. You might be surprised that some of us don't because we like our gifts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users