Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Security Suite 4.3 requires a DMZ to update?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dr.wireMORE

dr.wireMORE

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:42 PM

Today, I had a laptop that failed to complete live update. A chat to norton support was connected quickly. In the end, I was told that with the norton security suite update to 4.3; that for live update to run, that computer needs to be associated with a DMZ.

Product Name: Norton Security SuiteVersion: 4.3.0.5Serial Number: 123Media SKU: 20999865Current SKU: 20999865Family SKU: 0000000End Point ID: {11FF74F0-9B11-11DF-B554-000E35613068}OEM Partner Name: 123Vendor Name: Comcast

I explained to him that I had 3 computers, and only this one wasn't updating. He said "each" computer is unique, and some must be associated with a DMZ. So, I checked the other laptops, desktops, and sure enough they wouldn't complete a live update either.

My question:
- anyone experienced a problem running live updates on norton security suite?
- is it typical to require a DMZ (open to the internet connection) for any purpose other than gaming or videoconferencing?

dw

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:00 AM

Product Name: Norton Security SuiteVersion: 123Vendor Name: Comcast

Please note that the version of Norton security installed by Comcast is a Variation on the normal program -
At this time there are many people with complaints against this version of Nortons program from Comcast -
It is sold / pushed along with Comcast internet , and there has been proof that other Antivirus programs do work better (even free programs)-
I have reset several computers off Comcast Norton and they improve greatly -

Thank you -

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:29 AM

Try Avast, a lot of us here use this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:25 AM

is it typical to require a DMZ (open to the internet connection) for any purpose other than gaming or videoconferencing?

About DMZ - Demilitarized Zone
Designing and Using DMZ Networks
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 dr.wireMORE

dr.wireMORE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:45 PM

SOLVED: The problem with Norton Security Suite was not the software, but the linksys/cisco router. Linksys WRT110 V1.07 has a issue where it blocks or mis-handles some of the live update protocols. All you need to do is downgrade to V1.05 and it works as intended.

Found here and in other Norton forums:
http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT-110-not-allowing-any-Norton-definition-updates/td-p/324440
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Norton-360-V4-0-Liveupdate-will-not-update-antivirus-definitions/m-p/275450
Note, the forum above also has a link to the V1.05 of the software for a downgrade, if you need it

Environment: Linksys WRT110 V1.0; original V1.05 firmware upgraded to V1.07; Norton Security Suite 4.3
Symptom: Manual live update stalls; and your definitions are not updated
Solution: Downgrade the router to V1.05 and it works as intended.

Setting up your computer as a DMZ, directly internet facing. No, strongly suggest against it. Worse, the Norton folks said "go ahead" the Norton Security Suite will protect you. Sure, make my IP internet facing, and ignore any privacy/security concerns that the Norton Security Suite (which wasn't updating) would protect me. In general, in my opinion, there are "few" reasons to set yourself up as a DMZ. A few would be some serious gaming; video conferencing; or perhaps a wireless camera that you access remotely/directly. I would strongly discourage anyone accepting DMZ as a work-around for something broken.

Comment: Thank you for suggesting different anti-virus; but that wasn't my question. I used to use Norton Corporate Security plus Sypbot and another firewall product. For me, Norton Security Suite appears to work...although I do find it difficult to configure as a user. Thanks for the thoughts.

And for those that described that there is a "difference" between the comcast version and the norton retail version, please substantiate your response with a link to those differences. That would allow for an informed decision.

dw (Dec 3, 2010)

Edited by dr.wireMORE, 03 December 2010 - 03:49 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:06 PM

Good job dr.wireMORE.

You know I read that link and meant to include it but had to leave my office, then forgot to add it when posting my reply.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users