Afterwards I decided to run gmer.exe and dds.scr to obtain log files that I was going to post in another topic, but hit a brick wall. Gmer causes the laptop to bluescreen, and dds will eventually freeze about 75% of the way during a scan (this also occured in safe mode), and when I attempt to close it, I have no choice but to reboot. I even left it running for about 4 hours and the same scenario occurs. What should I do from here and how will I know if I'm completely clean or not? I'm running Windows XP SP 2, btw.
EDIT: In addition to the above, I've also been getting google searches redirected to random sites. I've read a similar scenario to this on a separate topic in these forums, which suggested to download TDSSKiller. I ran it and it detected and removed Rootkit.Win32.TDSS.tdl4. The search redirects seem to have ceased, but I still want to know if the issue is resolved. If necessary, I'll provide the log file upon request.
EDIT2: Upon another shutdown of the computer, the same process which I described before (with the east asian language) showed up again. Neither ApplicationUpdater nor SearchSettings were in the list of active processes before shutting down, which leads me to believe that this is another process I'm not aware of.
Edited by Ricepigeon, 02 December 2010 - 10:37 AM.