Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install many programs with little to no user

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CHansohn

CHansohn

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:13 PM

Is there a way to be able to install a large list of programs automatically?

example:
I reinstalled my OS and now I have to reinstall all my software packages. like Microsoft office, Firefox, blender, visual studio... I have all the executables to do this I was just hoping I could make the computer install it instead of me spending all day doing it.

CPU = Intel i7 950
Motherboard = Asus P6X58D
RAM = Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6X 2GB
Power Supply = Corsair AX1200W
Graphics Card = GTX 580 2-way SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Geoffc

Geoffc

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:56 AM

Sorry. it's too late for you this time but potentially a vital learning experience. For hardware or software reasons, you could easily be in this mess every 3-5 years.

My best solution is a ghost procedure ( Norton, Casper, et al) every month or so. But read the fine print - if you need the solution, it better work.

#3 CHansohn

CHansohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:24 AM

I'm thinking about building a windows wim image with my computer in a syspreped state with all my software installed and just periodically update it.

CPU = Intel i7 950
Motherboard = Asus P6X58D
RAM = Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6X 2GB
Power Supply = Corsair AX1200W
Graphics Card = GTX 580 2-way SLI

#4 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:37 PM

For several years now (after having a hard drive crash on me, and losing a good amount of data that I had not yet backed up), I have run my system like this:

I have my OS and all of my applications on the C drive. Nothing else - nothing - is stored or saved to this drive. All data, music, files, images, etc., are stored on my other two internal drives, and backed up to my external drive. Every time that I update existing software, or install a new application, I create a new image of my system drive again. This basically insures that the only time I'll have to reinstall software is when I change operating systems - something I do very infrequently.

My last major overhaul was the move from XP to Win 7, which required me to reinstall everything. But if I have a drive failure, I'll lose no data, and I'll be able to easily restore my system and software to a new drive.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 16 December 2010 - 12:38 PM.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users