Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SpywareBlaster protection disabled

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:41 AM

I discovered yesterday that protection for Restricted Sites had been disabled in SpywareBlaster. I looked around and found where it's caused by immunizing in Spybot S&D. So I ran a little test on my Windows machines - both XP -SP3, and I have the latest version of SpywareBlaster and Spybot S&D on both. I first made sure all protection was enabled in SpywareBlaster, then updated/ran/ and immunized Spybot S&D. Then I checked SpywareBlaster, and sure enough Restricted Sites had been disabled on both machines.

I went ahead and enabled all protection but my question is - was it necessary to do that or did Spybot S&D "take over" that function?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:30 PM

Spybot S&D offers four levels of protection: immunization, Resident SDHelper, TeaTimer, Hosts file.

Immunization is passive protection, meaning it does not run in the background. When you "Immunize", entries are added to the system Registry which blocks the storing of cookies from some sites, places a large number of sites in the restricted zone, by domain (site name) and by range (IP address), and blocks the download of selected ActiveX scripts.

SpywareBlaster does the same on a larger scale but places sites in the restricted zone, all by domain (site name). In previous versions Spybot would tell you if SpywareBlaster was installed on your computer that it offered more control over your settings by letting you add and remove sites very easily. If you use Spybot, SpywareBlaster, IE-SPYAD for ZonedOut or other security tools with similar features together, there is some overlap of protection. Thus, if you undo or disable the protection in one product, it may remove some of the protection installed by the other which means you have to re-immunize or re-enable the protection in each tool as appropriate. IMO, you really don't need to be using both so I would recommend not using Spybot's Immunization.

Further, if you have upgraded your browser to Internet Explorer 8 as Microsoft recommends, the SmartScreen Filter provides similar but more comprehensive protection by identifying and blocking sites on the web that are distributing malicious software. Read this comment by a member of the Spybot Advisor Team to see what he has to say about all this.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:39 PM

Thank you for the very informative and easy to understand information. I see that I should have mentioned in my original post that though we have IE7 on one machine and IE8 on the other, we use Firefox for our web browsing.

Thanks again, Keith

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016