Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't enter text in web forms after spyware cleanup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jfoust

jfoust

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:45 AM

I'm very experienced in spyware cleanup, but this one has me confused. In the past few weeks, after cleaning up relatively simple scareware infections of the "Security Tool" variety, I've seen a few systems where Internet Explorer won't accept typed input within the web page.

You can enter a URL like "google.com" in the URL bar, but when you click in the text entry area where you'd enter your search request, the cursor does not appear and no characters are accepted. This is true for any web site.

I'd like to find a quick fix. Everything else seems back to normal. Reinstalling would certainly fix it, but that wastes a few hours.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:56 AM

Hi!

Have you tried resetting IE to default settings?

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#3 jfoust

jfoust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:09 PM

Apart from the "operation restricted" notice I'd get when I would try to open Tools / Options, I also noticed that the INETCPL.CPL wasn't showing up in Control Panel and wouldn't run on its own. I gave up and reinstalled IE 8. Everything's fine now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users