Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updated BIOS caused system crash

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fiery_WA

Fiery_WA

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:49 AM

Gday

I am by no means and expert nor am I am I total dufus when it comes to PC's.

Vista Ultimate SP2
AMD Phenom II x 4 965
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
4GB DDR3 1333
875W PSU

Ok here goes, Gigabyte have just released there latest BIOS update, which claims to Fix audio noise issue while running ET6 in Win7, now I do not have Win 7 installed on my PC, however I have been having audio issues, my MP3's have been playing "choppy" more so if I am running a backup, doing a virus scan. Other than that most of the time they play smoothly.

Anyways, I thought of the onboard sound working overtime, so I purchased a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Card, installed it, updated the drivers, started playing an MP3, and then started a system backup.

Well I was very disappointed when the MP3's started to play "choppy", so that's when I headed over to Gigabytes website, and was happy to see a BIOS update, that may fix my sound issues.

I used the Gigabytes Update BIOS program (as I have always done), it downloaded and installed correctly.

Then I rebooted got flashed with BSOD, the PC then restarted, I let it boot up, and was greeted by nothing No system startup, tried booting into safe mode where it just hung.

Now this is where it gets interesting, as I am paranoid about losing data, I have 2 External Hard Drives, and two different Recovery Software installed, 1 is Paragon, the other is Acronis (I also use Vista's backup).

So first I try the Vista Disk Repair, it found a problem and supposedly fixed it, Rebooted got File:\windows\system32\config\system
Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or
corrupt.

Tried it again same result.

So I whipped out the Paragon Recovery CD, and rcovered my system, so I figured a new backup was in order, in the process of backing up my data, my system froze, then WHAM a BSOD.

I put back in my Paragon Recovery CD, this time it would not load any of the backups.

So out came the Vista Disk again, where I did chkdsks /f /r on all of my drives including the 1TB and 2TB external. The 1TB external came up with up with 4 bad clusters, which vista supposedly fixed.

Rebooted things were looking good the windows started to load and the BAM BSOD, with the error message File:\windows\system32\config\system
corrupt. So once again Vista Disk goes back in this time I do a system restore, process completed successfully.

Rebooted things were looking good the windows started to load and the BAM BSOD, with the error message File:\windows\system32\config\system
corrupt.

So at the moment I am trying a restore using Acronis, with a wait time of 3+ hours.

If you are wondering why I have Paragon and Acronis, it's because while Acronis was my first paid for Recovery Software, the restore times I find excessive, With Paragon I have found the restore times to be lightening fast in comparison to Acronis.

At the moment I do not know if Acronis will successfully restore my System.

And argggggg if it doesn't because while I don't mind reinstalling OS's on other peoples PC's, I hate doing mine :crazy: .

Oh footnote I backed up my previous BIOS version, on my C: (yes I know dumb, but I have never had a BIOS update failure before)

So other than the obvious reinstall of my OS should this recovery fail, do you guys have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fiery_WA

Fiery_WA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:56 PM

Never Mind Acronis recovered my OS :clapping:

#3 Fiery_WA

Fiery_WA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:33 AM

:ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

I just lost my OS again. Although no conflicts were shown with sound card, I am beginning to think this is cause ............ after that horrendous BIOS update.

Oh dear where to lay the blame ......... btw windows recovery sucks!!, it restored my PC minus just about everything. So I am once again plodding my way through an Acronis restore.

:censored: useless :censored: microflacid

:killcomp: :killcomp: :killcomp:

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:00 PM

First and for most when performing a BIOS update you need to make for absolute certain that all your drivers are updated.

Can you try flashing the BIOS to a previous version?

You may need a CD or Flashdrive if you do not have a Floppy. For a manual flash, you can get the instructions on the Gigabyte's site.

Also how did you perform this BIOS update?

Have you gone into the BIOS and loaded the fail safe setup?

Also you may need to clear the CMOS via the jumper which can be found in your user guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users