Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failure - Security Options freeze up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gliblord

gliblord

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:33 AM

I initially posted about the problem here: My link (with concomitant logs), thinking what caused it was probably a virus, since shutting down all the anti-spyware stuff wasn't fixing the problem and the computer seemed to freeze even in Safe Mode when I ran Spyware Doctor's full scan and it hit a certain file.

Hi, thanks for any help you can offer me.

Recently my computer got the Failure - Security Options thing where the compy freezes up about 5-10 minutes after start up, with only the mouse working and trying to draw up the ctrl+alt+del box fails with a "Failure - Security Options" error message, forcing me to use Safe Mode, which works fine. I tried disabling all anti-virus software including Windows Defender with no success. I canceled out readyboost and superfetch but nada. I even disabled the firewall and Windows updates (which strangely got stuck at 94% every time), but nothing helped at all. Then I found somebody on the relevant forum saying it might be a virus that activates whenever an anti-virus software tries to remove it, so I reinstalled Spyware Doctor and ran it in Safe Mode to see what would happen. Sure enough after it hit a certain file everything froze (absolutely the same symptoms), even in Safe Mode. So it's got to be a virus, right? The guy in the post said use Combofix, but the "consult a professional!" disclaimer is really scary, so that's why I'm here. Should I use Combofix? Is there another way? Help!

I was redirected to this thread: My link in the malware section and ran ComboFix and it didn't turn up any viruses. m0le told me my computer is clean, which is great except for the fact that now I have no idea what's causing this. I can't think of a single thing I could have done to trigger this. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gliblord

gliblord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:01 PM

Uh, I got an email saying there was a reply, but I don't see one...

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:51 AM

Worth a read, http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/225908-solved-vista-error-failure-security-options/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users