Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezing, video problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CanwllCorfe

CanwllCorfe

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:00 PM

Hello all! I originally thought my problem was with spyware, malware, or viruses, but I don't think that any longer. I had got plenty of help from one of the high ranking members on here, and still have the same issues. My general issues are:

The computer always sounds busy
Watching videos can make the computer freeze, ESPECIALLY if it's full screen
Opening or using any programs requiring a large amount of RAM will either freeze, or hesitate a lot
Chrome will crash and say that Shockwave has crashed or that certain pages aren't responding. After this happens, the computer will freeze for a couple of seconds and then the window that says either of these things will close. Any pages that use Shockwave then have to be refreshed.

In my NVIDIA folder I have a Display Driver folder which has 2 subfolders, and a Win Vista folder which has another folder. I'm confused because each one is a different driver, or that's at least what it looks like. When I Google the names of the folders (197.45, 260.99, 182.50), each one has its own NVIDIA page.

Any information you may need:

Dell Inspiron 531S
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.30 GHZ
Memory (RAM): 3.00 GB
System: 32 Bit
Service Pack 2
Driver: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Windows keeps saying I need to update it, but the NVIDIA site says there aren't any updates for it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:55 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

The correct driver for Windows Vista 32 Bit is 260.99

Which is here.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-32bit-260.99-whql-driver.html

The correct driver for Windows Vista 64 Bit is this one.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-260.99-whql-driver.html

I see that your computer supports 64 Bit Technology, so that is why I supplied both versions.

As for what-ever other files you have on your computer, I suggest getting rid of those, make sure you un-install the original driver you have installed now, just so you know you have only the correct driver installed for this video card.

I would also suggest you take a look around your motherboard's BIOS setup utility for anything related to your graphics card's settings.

There may be settings here that are related to how the video card performs, without actually looking through your motherboard's owners manual, it would be difficult for me to make suggestions.

Also one last suggestion. I would take a look at the condition of the inside of your computer for dust issues.

Dust can cause over-heating issues and it is often over-looked as a possible culprit.

Please examine your cooling fans and heat sinks closely for embedded dust.

If you notice dust built up in the cooling fins of the heat sinks, you can purchase a can of compressed air, use the plastic straw and concentrate the blast of air into those heat sinks until all dust is removed.

See if this resolves the problem and post back the results.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 01 December 2010 - 12:57 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 CanwllCorfe

CanwllCorfe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:45 PM

Hello there! I did all of those things. I actually cleaned it out not too long ago, but it didn't do much unfortunately :( I still have the same problems.

EDIT: And when it freezes, the "busy light" stays on. Once it unfreezes, it goes back to its normal flickering self.

Edited by CanwllCorfe, 20 March 2011 - 09:52 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:17 PM

There are a number of reasons for a computer to freeze and act strange.

A fragmented hard drive. Try defragmenting your hard drive.

A buggy driver. Try a different driver intended for your video card.

Your hard drive could be failing. Try running chkdsk, do this from computer and right click your hard drive and schedule a scan next time you restart your computer.

RAM. Make sure you exceed the amount of RAM required for your operating system.
Not having enough RAM to run multiple programs, requires your system to use the swap file on the hard drive as memory more often, this can slow things down and eventually cause frequent system crashes.

Make sure heat is NOT a factor here, heat sinks should be clean of dust, you really have to look closely for dust, heat sinks can often look clean, when in fact they may have dust hidden deep behind the cooling fan.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 20 March 2011 - 10:18 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users