Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stange Noises From My Computer

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 nova

nova

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 11:48 PM

Oh my god...

It's been 3 days since this sound came up again, and i thought my cputer was running just fine...

I'm not sure if it's the PSU again, but this strage sound comes from the motherboard speaker ( there's no noise if i unplug this motherboard speaker ), and there's sound whenever i hit the "ON" button to switch on my computer.
( It's beeping as i am writing this post ... )

I know that unpluging the motherboard speaker only mutes this sound, but i am afraid that there would be any further damage to my computer, as this problem continues to be unsolvable...

Can anybody help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 01 December 2005 - 02:35 AM

The beeping of the motherboard is usually an indication of a problem, and the different number of beeps usually depicts the problem. What kind of motherboard/make and model of your computer to you have?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 01 December 2005 - 02:39 AM

The beep codes are in the frame on the right side of the main page.
BIOS Codes

Hope this helps.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 nova

nova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 02:58 AM

I'm thinking it's either one of these below:
1. Repeating (endless loop) - Memory error - Check for improperly seated or missing memory.
2. High frequency beeps while running - Overheated CPU - Check the CPU fan for proper operation. Check the case for proper air flow.
3. Repeating High/Low - CPU - Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged. May also be due to excess heat. Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper fan speed.

My computer make is:
Motherboard: ASUS P4S8X-X
Hard disk: Maxtor 80GB HD (internal)
VGA card: MSI Radeon 9550i
Power supply: V-Spec 300W (20-pin)
Intel Processor P4
Floppy Drive
Samsung CD-RW
Sound card: Sound Blaster 1.3
(additional external fan blowing into the tower as VGA card usually gets too hot and the whole computer just blacks out)

Edited by nova, 01 December 2005 - 02:59 AM.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 03:10 AM

Start with this.. Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic"

These will give you information about your system.
Everest home (hardware and software information)
MicroSoft's Memory Test

Edited by acklan, 01 December 2005 - 03:10 AM.

#6 nova

nova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 04:19 AM

I've yet to run <Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic">, but i've run Microsoft's Memory Test.

The Microsoft's Memory Test took quite some time as i tried both standard and extended tests.
Both are alright, alll tests succeeded and no errors were found.

So that, this leaves me with:
1. High frequency beeps while running - Overheated CPU - Check the CPU fan for proper operation. Check the case for proper air flow.
2. Repeating High/Low - CPU - Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged. May also be due to excess heat. Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper fan speed.

(I tried using another wire from the PSU to connect the HD, floppy and the CD-drive, and now it isn't beeping anymore. I hope that this solves it, but i still want to get to the crux of the problem, just in case this problem recurs and i don't know how to fix this.)
-
EDIT: It just started beeping again, and it's repeating high/low for the beeping
-

I've got Everest Home 2.20 and SpeedFan 4.26, and suspected it was the VCORE and temperature initially, which was:
(provided by Everest Home2.20)
Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.55 V
+3.3 V 3.30 V
+5 V 5.11 V
+12 V 13.50 V
-12 V -13.41 V
-5 V -5.08 V

(provided by SpeedFan)
Temperatures were below/lower than the expected values(will this expected value change with time for SpeedFan?)

Edited by nova, 01 December 2005 - 04:50 AM.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 01 December 2005 - 05:07 AM

What were all the temperatures given in Everest? (see Computer>Sensor)

I'd be unclipping the CPU fan and heatsink, removing it (after grounding myself on the PC case), re-seating the CPU (unlatch it, take it out, put it back, re-latch it), then replacing the heatsink and fan assembly with additional heat transfer paste on the bottom of the heatsink. Make sure the heatsink seats down properly when you clip it home and tighten the levers.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 01 December 2005 - 05:08 AM

Check out the event viewer and see what is occuring at the times that the beeping occurs. I'm guessing that you have already checked for loose modules, fans not running...

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 01 December 2005 - 05:58 AM

That 12V value looks bad. Might be the PSU that isn't working properly. What does Everest say about the temperatures?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:10 AM

Just to add my 2 to this...what are the actual temperatures indicated:
1) when the system isn't beeping, and
2) when the system is beeping?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:18 AM

If the beeps have a pattern check the against this.. BIOS beep & POST codes

#12 nova

nova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 01:30 PM

1. The beeps have a pattern, that is repeating high/low (alternating). From this i know that the problem is only in this:

Repeating High/Low - CPU - Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged. May also be due to excess heat. Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper fan speed.

I'm assuming that it's the excess heat problem, as the CPU is seated correctly and running alright (it's undamaged in my opinion as i DO NOT have another CPU to assure that point), plus that the CPU fans are running.

2. I'm going to try Rimmer's suggestion, that is to

unclipping the CPU fan and heatsink, removing it (after grounding myself on the PC case), re-seating the CPU (unlatch it, take it out, put it back, re-latch it), then replacing the heatsink and fan assembly with additional heat transfer paste on the bottom of the heatsink.

But i've yet to do it as there is no heat transfer paste with me right now.

3. My fans are running ALRIGHT, and might only be a little slower as stated by acklan in my previous post, where he said:

I would have thought the fan would turn a little faster, about 3000 to 3600 rpm.

Edited by nova, 01 December 2005 - 01:30 PM.

#13 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:25 PM

That 12V value looks bad. Might be the PSU that isn't working properly. What does Everest say about the temperatures?

I agree. the +12 volt is far too high!!!!

If you try the reseating of the CPU, don't just add more paste then put it back in................you MUST clean off the old paste first, too much paste between the cpu and heatsink is not a good thing.
Here is what i normally do.....................take the hsf (heatsink/fan) off carefully and don't freak out if the cpu comes out with it. If the cpu does come out with the hsf (stuck on it) don't try and pry it off, just twist the cpu gently side to side and it will loosen.
Next use "isopropyl" rubbing alcohol (you can find it at a DIY or pharmacy store) and cue tips (ear buds) or soft tissue to clean ALL the old thermal compound off of the cpu and hsf, or you could use what i normally use, nail polish remover.
Once you get all the thermal compound/paste removed, clean both surfaces with a lint free cloth (spectacle cleaning cloth is good). Now reseat the cpu (if it isn't already) and apply a thin layer of new thermal compound (thin layer = as thin as you can get it, but not see through), i find the best way to spread it real thin and even is to use a Blockbuster video card, it's not as stiff as a credit card and has no course edges. Next cover your index finger with shrink wrap or a plastic bag and place a small blob of paste onto the bottom of the heatsink/fan and massage it in with your plastic covered finger (this layer is see through). I know the "plastic bag and finger" thing is a bit strange but you will normally find that the heatsink/fan unit's underside will have alot more imperfections in it's surface than the cpu will and rubbing paste on it will fill all those tiny gaps.
Now replace the heatsink/fan unit back ontop of the cpu and tighten the clips/screws, plug the fan wire back into the mobo and your done.

Hope this helps,
Chief.

#14 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:58 AM

Dear Nova,

13.5 volts is way too high. I had the same with a brand new Antec power supply and they said to send it back. I got a new one that works great! It happens. Your 12 volt line should run around 11.53 depending.

Hope that helps,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#15 nova

nova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 01:08 PM

Ok... I've tried putting more heate transfer paste into there, but it just ain't working, and the system beeps away...

These are the temperatures after placing more heat transfer paste onto the CPU's heatsink:
(From Everest home 2.20)
Temperatures:
Motherboard 34 C (93 F)
CPU 44 C (111 F)
Maxtor 6Y080P0 27 C (81 F)

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.58 V
+3.3 V 3.33 V
+5 V 5.03 V

(From SpeedFan)
+12V 15.50V

Ok... i know this looks kinda bad, but are there any solutions to push down the +12V value?
Any other help is appreciated too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users