Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with winlogon.exe

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Symphony

Symphony

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:40 PM

Hi everyone,
Whenever I start my laptop I would receive a windows error "winlogon.exe encountered a problem and needs to close" within a few seconds, and a few seconds after the error pops up my desktop theme would somehow revert to the old Windows 98 style, and would restart within a few seconds. A blue screen pops up very briefly as well before restarting, but too short for me to see the exact error message.
The only "change" I made to the computer today was download and install a program known as "file extension renamer", which renames the extensions of multiple files at once. It was downloaded from brothersoft, which should be safe but I'm not sure anymore.
I tried booting in safe mode but within seconds of clicking my account icon to log in, the computer would restart itself as well, but with no pop-up error in safe mode.
Is there any way to fix this error besides reformating C drive? =/
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users