Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

stuck acquiring network address


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 db44

db44

  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:07 PM

My son was using my wife's laptop and infected it with a virus/trojan. The computer is a Dell D600 running windows XP. After finally removing the Trojan that was listed in the Avira scan log as TR/Inject.AK.1 Trojan, I now cannot connect to the internet anymore. The network connection is stuck acquiring network address. The only program I could access and run in safe mode was Malwarebytes. After running that I was able to open Avira antivirus and did a manual update and ran the software. After a number of scans with Avira, Malwarebytes, and Ad aware, I finally removed the trojan. I have the same 'acquiring network address' issue trying to connect through the wireless card or plugged directly to the router. Tried the repair option without success. Any suggestions? I have all of the scan logs and can post them if that will help.
Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 01 December 2010 - 07:29 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 hamluis

hamluis

    Moderator


  • Moderator
  • 56,567 posts
  • ONLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Killeen, TX
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:09 PM

Let's try this :).

Please start Internet Explorer, and when the program is open, click on the Tools menu and then select Internet Options.

You should now be in the Internet Options screen. Now click on the Connections tab.

Now click on the Lan Settings button as designated by the blue arrow above.

Under the Proxy Server section, uncheck the checkbox labeled Use a proxy server for your LAN. Then press the OK button to close this screen...press the OK button to close the Internet Options screen.

Louis

#3 db44

db44
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for the response. That box was already unchecked. I tried checking it to see if it made a difference, but no so I unchecked it again. When I bring up the network connections window, it shows the 'Local Area Connection' status as acquiring network address. The 'Wireless Network Connection' status is connected, firewalled. When I double click on that the small window shows connected, speed 54Mbps, strong signal stregnth. The activity shows currently 382 packets sent 0 received. Does that mean I am still infected and my computer is sending out information? What next?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

    Moderator


  • Moderator
  • 56,567 posts
  • ONLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Killeen, TX
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:28 AM

I'd suggest a trip to the Am I Infected forum.

I will move this topic there :).

Louis

#5 db44

db44
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:34 AM

Thanks, I wasn't sure where to post at the start of my inquiry.

#6 db44

db44
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for your help. The issue is resolved. The folks at Avira helped walk me through a fix. For those who may encounter this same issue, this is what we did. I ran a program named OTL. The Avira expert set up a custom scan for me and it found a file named 'netbt' was missing from the Windows/System 32/ Drivers folder. I copied that file from service pack folder i386 to the above mentioned System 32/Drivers folder and problem solved. From what I have learned from this experience I assume that the Trojan had attached itself to this file or replaced it, so Avira or MBAM deleted it along with the Trojan. Perhaps someone more qualified than myself could comment on this speculation.

Thanks, Don




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users