Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant CRC errors

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zenon90

zenon90

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:51 PM

Hi guys,
Some time ago I bought a new computer: AMD Phenom II X4 955, Geil DDR3 4GB PC1333 Value Series CL9, MSI 770-G45, ZOTAC GeForce GTX470 AMP, BeQuiet PurePower L7 530W.
Unfortunately, since the first use I have been dealing with some problems: blue screens, installation errors and above all CRC Errors with every downloaded large (~300MB) .RAR file. I've done many tests to find out what's wrong. For sure it's not software issue: OS is new with newest drivers etc.

So I tested my memory (with Memtest86+ among others) and it is 100% OK. HDD is 100% OK. Then I tried Prime95 - and after just a few seconds it showed "Hardware Failure Detected". But the error appeared only when I was doing "Blend" tests (lots of RAM tested), but not with "Small FTTs" tests (lots of CPU tested). I borrowed memory (Patriot DDR3 2x2048MB Viper Series 1600MHz CL 7.0) from my friend and I found out that it works perfect on my computer - no CRC Errors nor Prime95 error. But memtest showed my memory is fine too - so just to make sure it really is, I went back to the shop and replaced it with new modules (of the same Geil model), but it changed nothing.

Then I started some fun with BIOS - I set NB to 2200 MHz and memory voltage to 1,67 V. And Prime95 doesn't show any errors any more; BSODs also don't appear. But still I've got the problem with CRC Errors and I have no idea how to deal with it. Let's some up: 1)My memory is fine. 2) With Patriot memory mentioned above, the problem is solved. 3) So I assume the only way to solve the problem with my Geil memory is to go on with some changes in BIOS. Maybe I should deal with timings? Or with CPU-NB voltage? Could you guys give me some detailed instrucions what values should I try, or maybe you've got other ideas? I must add that I tried to slow the memory down to 1033MHz and 800 MHz but it didn't help. I also updated BIOS.
THX in advance!!

Edited by zenon90, 30 November 2010 - 01:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

The problem is the memory. Even though it may test fine with memtest your motherboard has some issue with that manufacturers memory. It could be as simple as since it is value RAM there are mix and match memory chips ofn the stick and you board is freaking out. Regardless of what the issue may be replacing it with a different memory is the way to go. Return it and get another brand. Preferably the Patriot since you know it works.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 bradumd

bradumd

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:16 PM

You have pretty much troubleshooted the problem yourself. Much like Baltboy said, just replace the memory to a different brand. You know it's a fix that works, why try to mess around with the bios when it's unnecessary.

#4 zenon90

zenon90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:55 AM

Thx guys. Ok, I could possibly replace the memory. But how may I be sure that it will work and it's not damaged MoBo? This specific Patriot model was fine but any other can fail.

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:40 PM

Go with the same model patriot memory that worked. Also if you need to use a different brand stay away from the value series types. I having been using Gskill memory ( the better models with the heatsinks) for several years and i have yet to experience any issues. I have also had good luck with Corsair, Kensington, and Crucial.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:47 PM

Motherboard manufacturers...also tend to list RAM modules which are known to work...among their "preferred vendor" listings, if you go the manufacturer's website.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 December 2010 - 05:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users