Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MyBook Backup Confusion

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Nove

Nove

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:39 PM

Congratulations, Bleeping Computer - your success in addressing my other issues has made you my stop of first choice.

I have recently been helping my family with their computers - the majority are matters of setting up very basic programs or taking off some unsolicited browser search bars: "I don't know how that got there!" However, in working with their system, I have noticed that their MyBook (1TB), connected to a laptop, has filled up in the course of a few short months. When I open their MyBook, I only see a few folders - I believe that they have set up an automated back up program, but I am not seeing the copies of their laptop hard-drive in the available MyBook folders, nor do I see a back-up administration program when I nose around their installed programs. I just see a full MyBook when I look at their drive in "My Computer" (Windows 7).

So, first and foremost, how do I access the back-up program settings/schedule for their MyBook? I want to make sure the drive isn't getting backed-up fresh each day, filling up the MyBook.

Then, how do I delete or eliminate "old" back-up copies if I can't see them? As it stands, when I navigate their MyBook, I can't see anything that looks "familiar", as in some fragment of the Laptop's HD. Is the back-up data in encrypted or hidden files that have to be revealed, ie, through "Show hidden files"?

Finally, and as a secondary note, there are two folders I have created on another, different MyBook, basically "A" and "B", for the purposes of giving them a spot to throw their stuff in when moving data around. Over several months, several other folders have been created, on the heels of Windows Updates - I'm curious whether those other folders (other than the user-created ones) can be deleted wholesale, or if something else tied to windows updates makes them necessary. Folders with names like "40bdb3babb3ee63738" and txt files named "eula.1036", with dll's to match.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users