Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps losing its memory

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 ep2002

ep2002

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:38 PM

Hi,

Ok, so I have been troubleshooting on this forum with first triage, then with surgery (LOL, for lack of a better word) & he thinks the problem is the HD.

I'd like to make sure before I take it in to get it physically checked & replace it, as you know, to redo an entire HD is very time consuming & I need access to my computer every day for my companies.

We used Seagate & I did the short tests, then Gringo wanted me to do the long test & it failed. In fact I think it screwed the computer up b/c right afterward I had to reboot.

At this point I can't even restart with Windows (XP) unless I catch the issue right away & close everything down & restart. If I wait even 5 minutes, everything on my screen starts to disappear & I have to do a cold reboot.

When it's working, she's a charm, but after about 4 hours of her being on, she starts to die or if someone uses a very memory intensive piece of software, like Carbonite did a remote login yesterday & as he was in my computer she started to crash.

Thank you VERY much. We've been working on this for almost a month now & I'm tearing my hair out :)

Michelle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:08 PM

If i had a hard drive on which the appropriate hard drive diagnostic was run...and the drive failed...I'd be ordering a new/replacement hard drive online from a reliable vendor.

There are some test results that anyone can quibble with. But, considering that the manufacturers of these drives...provide their own utilities for testing their drives and thereby facilitating RMAs and user troubleshooting...the long hard drive diagnostic is not to be quibbled with, IMO.

Louis

#3 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:30 PM

Hi Louis,

Well he told me there would be a way to fix it, so I'd rather do that if I can.

Michelle

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:43 PM

If the drive fails manufacturers diagnostics the only true way to fix it is to replace it
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:08 PM

Yes, I just spent the last hour + waiting on hold for their tech support & now their warranty dept.

Which HD manufacturers do you think is the best?

Michelle

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:29 AM

There is a simple, straight-forward, and quick solution to your problem.

1. Buy another Seagate HDD of the same size or larger. Edit: Seagate is as good as any other.
2. Download Seagate's DiscWizard software (from their website, free), and use it to clone the failing HDD to the new HDD.
3. Remove the old HDD, and boot the computer using your new HDD, and you will be back in business, and everything will be as it was before.

How easy can it get? Let us know if you wish to proceed with this or have any questions about it.

Edited by AustrAlien, 01 December 2010 - 12:31 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:00 PM

Ok, phew, so I kind of did what you suggested, but I had a computer store do it for me. I don't want to touch anything & screw something up. I'm not a hardware person.

He ghosted it. He wasn't sure it would ghost b/c there were so many problems.

Now I have to wait at least 24-48 hours to see if any of the previous symptoms occur. If they don't, then it's 100% official, it was the HD.

It's so quiet LOL

Thanks

Michelle

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:23 PM

Pleased to see that you have the job done, and can get back to your work in peace and quiet again.

Norton Ghost was not the best choice for data recovery from a damaged HDD, according to DjLizard's data recovery guide
http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Data_Recovery

Under the heading of .... "Software to avoid"
Norton Ghost

Norton Ghost for DOS is an IT admin favorite - it is pretty good at making images of filesystems, compressing them, deploying them, etc. But should you use it for recovery? No. Ghost will crash or abort when an error occurs (or can crash/abort even if you set it to ignore all errors), it doesn't do any recovery of unreadable sectors, and it rearranges the MFT. When you Ghost a drive using the default settings, it does not do a sector copy - instead it makes every file contiguous with no gaps of space between files and rewrites the MFT, which is the part that usually causes Windows systems to be unbootable after a Ghost (I'm referring to drives that are working fine). Ghost was not meant for recovery, so don't even bother with it for this purpose. For all other uses (imaging, deployment, etc), however, Ghost is just fine.

Let us know how things work out with the new HDD over the next couple of days. I am inclined to think that you should get back to Gringo, and complete your malware removal and clean up procedures, and get a clean bill of health before closing that topic.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:48 PM

Great, well there's nothing I can do about it now. :( I dislike these computer stores that use all the mainstream stuff.

Michelle

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:57 PM

I would assume that Norton Ghost did the job this time .... otherwise the person that used it may have had some trouble, and your computer would not be up and running as it is now. Let's hope so, anyway.

If your computer is running well, and there are no problems (related to the ghosting), don't worry yourself about it.

Good luck.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:45 PM

How long b4 I can assume the ghosting worked & all is fine?

On that page (I didn't read it in detail) it talks about not defraging.

Should I not defrag?

Thanks

Michelle

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:11 PM

Michelle,

The Recovery Guide was focused on hard drives that were failing in some way, and in that situation, defragging was a no-no. You now have a new hard drive, so you can go ahead and defrag ... and should defrag ... as often as you deem necessary. I recommend the following program to use in place of the one that comes with Windows XP:
MyDefrag v4.3.1
http://www.mydefrag.com/index.html

"How long b4 I can assume the ghosting worked & all is fine?"
I think I only need reiterate a previous comment on that one, namely "If your computer is running well, and there are no problems (related to the ghosting), don't worry yourself about it." I think you are all good now: Relax and get back to your work and life (unless, of course you choose to get back to Gringo and finish up there).

Regards.

Edited by AustrAlien, 02 December 2010 - 06:12 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:16 PM

Michelle

I am sorry: There is one important task that I have neglected to mention. Please attend to it now.

Quoting from DjLizard's data recovery guide
"Once you have cloned the data to a known-good drive, then you should use chkdsk /f .... to repair the higher-level damage. If you find a single error with chkdsk, run chkdsk again. Continue running chkdsk until there are no more errors."
Please, run chkdsk no more than 4 times! If errors persist, please post the logs.

Now do the following:
Use the Windows Error checking utility (Check Disk), with the option to "Automatically fix file system errors".
  • Open "My Computer"
  • Right-click on the drive that you wish to check > Properties > Tools > and in the "Error checking" section, click on "Check now".
  • Place a tick in the upper box ONLY (beside "Automatically fix file system errors") > Start.
  • If the disk you have chosen is the system disk:
    • A message will notify you that a restart is necessary: Click OK, and close all windows.
    • Re-start the computer. The disk will be checked when the system boots.
      This test will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
    • When the disk check is complete, the system will re-start automatically and load Windows.
    • If any errors were found, or repairs made, re-start the computer a second time.
  • If any errors were found, it may be prudent to repeat Check Disk.
---------------------------------

A log of the disk check is recorded (only if the scheduled re-start is used).
To open Event Viewer and view the log:
  • Go to Start > Run > and type eventvwr and press the <ENTER> key.
  • In the left pane, click on Application.
  • In the right pane, at the top, click on the column heading Source to sort the list alphabetically.
  • Look in the Source column for "Winlogon", with an entry corresponding to the date and time of the disk check.
  • Double-click on that entry to view the log.
  • Click on the "copy" button to copy the log to the clipboard.
  • Paste the log text into your next reply.

Please let us know the results, and how your system is running now.
Please post the chkdsk log(s) if you experience any problems.

Edited by AustrAlien, 02 December 2010 - 07:31 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#14 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:33 PM

:( It won't work. Here's a SS Now

http://s972.photobucket.com/albums/ae209/michellek2010/?action=view&current=CheckingDiskError.jpg

I'm really nervous. It wasn't just the HD, I'm having the same similar problems, even with the registry now.

Michelle

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:55 PM

If the disk you have chosen is the system disk:

• A message will notify you that a restart is necessary: Click OK, and close all windows.
  • Re-start the computer. The disk will be checked when the system boots.

Michelle

What I see in your screenshot is exactly what I was referring to in the above quote. That is normal. Click "Yes", click "OK", close all windows, and re-start the computer. ..... etc.

Edit: You said "It wasn't just the HD, I'm having the same similar problems, even with the registry now."
Please explain/describe what you mean.

Edit2: Wow! Your desktop looks almost exactly like my own!

Edited by AustrAlien, 04 December 2010 - 11:00 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users