Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Backup

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:04 PM

I use windows xp home. I want to totally backup my system just to be safe. i checked windows backup info which says to insert the windows disc - which i don't have. i know this info is probably vague - so let me know what info you need to solve my problem. thanks - Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:31 PM

Keith1: To use the XP Backup utility, you will need the CD if you are using XP Home Edition.

This article does a good job explaining the entire process - Windows XP Backup Made Easy

Personally, I use Ghost to copy an image of my computer to a portable Hard drive.
Ghost is a commercial product, so you may want to try one of the free alternates such as Digital Dolly.
I have never used Digital Dolly, but many other members have and highly recommended it.

Thanks,

Edited by Joshuacat, 30 November 2005 - 09:32 PM.

JC

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:52 PM

Digtal Dolly has a disk image and copy utility but they are manual and do not preform an automatic back up. DD boot from a cd so it can't be automatic.
With that said DD is, in my opinion, a must utility for all is features.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 10:13 PM

Thanks for the replies - i don't have the disc..so i'll look into the digitaldolly program. Keith

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 10:27 PM

I found this and it looks promising but I have not used it.

http://www.calvar.com/freeware.html

#6 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 03:46 AM

DriveImage XML

Lexun Backup Solution

These 2 products are also free.

#7 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 06:41 AM

SyncBack

SyncBack is our multi-award winning freeware program that helps you easily backup and synchronise your files to: the same drive; a different drive or medium (CDRW, CompactFlash, etc); an FTP server; a Network; or a Zip archive.

SyncBack was first released in November 2003 and quickly established itself as the finest freeware backup program available.

Simple backup solution
Many language versions available
Detailed Help File
No nag screens
No advertisements
No registrations
No payments
No spying
No collection of demographic information
No unauthorised Internet connections

Download

SyncBack Freeware V3.2.9 includes help file

System Requirements

Windows 98, 98SE, ME, NT 4, Windows 2000, WindowsXP, and Windows 2003 - Please note that Windows 95 is not supported.

#8 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 05:21 PM

Thank you for the replies - there is alot of information to digest so after i check it all out i'll decide which one to use and post back the results. Keith

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:43 PM

Just my 2, but a comprehensive backup solution is needed. There's lot's of discussion about this on the web (and most of it is more than you need). But, I'll talk about it anyway (feel free to fall asleep during the lecture! :0)

1) Ordinary backups - There are several reasons for backing up your stuff. The most obvious is to save your stuff (data, files, etc). To do that, you'll need a piece of software to do this.

The software that comes with Microsoft is fine for this purpose (although I don't use it because of accessibility problems). That way you can restore your backup set when you need to.

I prefer software that will backup my important stuff in a format that I can easily get at. Since the amount of data isn't very large (a couple of gB at most) I use SyncBack SE to copy the files to another disk on a daily basis. The benefit here is that I've got immediate access to all of my files, and the software does the backup automatically so I don't have to worry about it

2) Registry backup - this can be done either using Regedit.exe, or by using a free software tool like ERUNT. Combine ERUNT with the use of Windows' Task Scheduler and you can have multiple versions of your registry backed up for emergency use.

3) System Restore - a nice tool (but I don't use it) - and, given a little bit of knowledge, you can customize it to backup whatever you need it to. The drawback, in my opinion, is that it sometimes fails - leaving you without your system backup

4) Disk Images - a very nice thing that copies your entire hard drive along with how it's setup. With this, you can restore the image to your hard drive and be back up and running within 20 minutes - even after a complete crash of the software (doesn't fix hardware crashes). The drawback here is size - the images are very large, so you can't afford to save too many copies of it. I make an image once I've finished installing all my essential applications and save that one - then I update a second one every week for changes that I've made since the last image.

5) Data Surety - the methods above will fix most any software problem that you'll encounter (and will enable you to recover from hardware failures more easily).

But, what do you do if the building floods? Or if it burns down? Or if there's an earthquake that swallows your computer whole?

That's where some of the other solutions come in.

a) The first is off-site backups. This ensures that if the building that holds your computer is wiped off the map - your data will still be saved in another place. I use pcAnywhere to copy the data from my wife's office to our home computers for this method. That way, if her office is destroyed, we've still got the data to start over with.

b ) Since we live on the coast, we've also got to consider regional disasters (like hurricanes, tsunami's, mass flooding, earthquakes, etc). Now, it's not a real big threat here in CT, but could be in LA, or Los Angeles, CA. This calls for an out-of-region backup solution - in my case, I would have to arrange for a place to do this out of the region in case of my entire area being flattened.

c) And it can go on and on - to cope with National disasters, disasters in our section of the globe (hemispheric disasters), even global disasters - but most of this is beyond our needs. Yet, there are still solutions available for this.

FWIW - I'm going to use this post as another of my "tips" please feel free to contribute other ideas/viewpoints on backup strategies to it :thumbsup:

Edited by usasma, 02 December 2005 - 12:46 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 03:27 PM

If you are going to spend money on a second driver dedicated to back, look into a one touch NAS. It connects via ethernet and has one button on top. You touch the button and it's off and running. It backup the entire drive it is assigned to. You could also do this with an old computer and backup freeware. An old P-I would work fine. You would not need a keyboard, monitor, or mouse. Use VNC to control the remote computer. Tuck it in a corner and forget it.

#11 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 05:59 PM

Wow! - so much great info here. thank you all very much - Keith

#12 cyman1964uk

cyman1964uk

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 08:22 PM

Has anyone used VCOM Autosave? I hear that's a pretty goog choice for cheap software.

I've been thinking of buying it and wondered if anyon'e tried it?

S.
Simon

My Webpage
My Online Storefront

"If you declare that you can create a machine that will peel a potato, he will proclaim it impossible ...
Yet if it peels a potato before his very eyes, he will say it is useless since it cannot slice a pineapple!"

Posted Image

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 08:26 PM

From a quick look at their website - it does what SyncBack SE does for free. Others that I know like the free Cobian Backup.

Also, you can buy a copy of the SyncBack SE shareware that will even backup files that are "locked" and can't be copied.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:03 PM

I second brother usasma"s motion. Try the freeware first. You can always pay later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users