Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New pc randomlly shuts off

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kaygie

kaygie

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:54 AM

Hello everyone....Please bear with me as I am a 58 year old woman who is not up to date at all on computer jargon. Everything that I know about computers I taught myself. With that said I will get to my problem. I recently purchased a Dell P4 desktop computer and had it shipped over 1800 miles (UPS) It is shutting down by itself at times and shows a flashing yellow light on the front. This was happening exclusively when I would be playing World of Warcraft but now is happening more often when I am online. Is it possible that anything could have come loose during shipping? Is this something that a novice could look at? I instinctively thought that the sounds coming from my pc were wrong from day one. It is not set to hibernate or standby. The processor is Intel Pentium 4 and has a Nvidia video card installed as well. I hope that I am making sense to you. Thank you very much for looking at my post.

The difference is too nice - Where ends the virtue or begins the vice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:24 AM

Hi :).

Have you contacted the entity which sold you the system?

IMO, troubleshooting issues with a new system...is not the way to go for any user with a new system.

If you bought the system used, any number of items may be defective or out of order.

Louis

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:26 PM

Received from OP via PM today:

"ty for responding to me. Yes i did. I bought a refurbished pc from 199computerstore. It sounded funny when I first started it up. I ran diagnostics on it, i get the msg. that chipset is disabled. Is it disabled because of the Nvidia card? I do not know. When the thing goes off a light flashes on the front (yellow) I think something is not right with the fan but I am only guessing because of the way it sounds. I am on a fixed income and only want to pay for what is necessary. May I open it up just to see if the fan is in correctly? How would I know? I thought I would look and see if everything was connected. ty very very much "

My response to the above...I cannot tell you what may be wrong with a refurbished system you did not acquire from me. I suggest that you contact the former owner.

It seems that you now need to do the sort of things...which would have better performed before purchasing or immediately upon discovering problems.

I reiterate...I would contact the seller of that system...and review the terms of sale agreed to.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users