Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bnrr

bnrr

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:11 PM

Hello team
This is my first kind of forum with bleeping and hope that I may explained my system problems
accuratly. My concern is this: Is svchost an trojan virius? I am deeply concern because out of
curosity I have been checking my task manager as to what I have in my startup files.
I came across tech direct website and decided to try out their windows startup database as to
find out what the svchost task is because I have 4 different kinds in my system. after typing in
the svchost it came back with the result as it listing as a trojan virus! I was deeply worry that I
started to run my antivirus (kaspersky)and afterwards it detected nothing, run spyware and it
also came up as finding nothing in my system.
the svchost in my system is:
svchost - localservice - mem usage: 3,232k - cpu:00
svchost - netowork service - mem: 1,572k cpu:00
svchost - system - mem: 19,688k cpu:01
svchost - system -mem: 2,692 -cpu:00
Please help in determining if this is actually a virus or a true system tool.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:31 PM

Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that are run from dynamic-link libraries called DLLs. This is a valid system process that belongs to the Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. The file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.

Description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/svchost.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 bnrr

bnrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:38 AM

Hey Quitman7
Thanks a million for the valuable information that has settle down my worries.
the info for the svchost is a tremendous help for me, again thank you.
I hope you don't mind if I ask for another help subject?
I would like to know the step by step in adding another hard drive to my system.
I'll be using an old use hdd that I have perform and format, and installed.
what do I need to do afterwards to use it as a storage device?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 10:55 AM

If you have XP Pro, you can go to the Command Prompt and type in "tasklist.exe /svc" (without the quotes) and it will show you the processes that are running under each instance of svchost.exe

http://www.sysinternals.com/ has a nice little free utiltity that you can use on XPHome to find this out - it's called Process Explorer.

As for the hard drive...what file system have you formatted it with (NTFS or FAT32)? And, what size is it?

Generally, it's just a matter of:
1) Unplugging the computer from the wall, then opening both sides of the case.
2) Grounding yourself by holding onto the metal of the case - and keep holding/touching it throughout the procedure.
3) Then, pick up the hard drive and ensure that the jumpers are set correctly (this depends on where it's going and what else is on the cable with it) and then mount it in one of the empty drive bays with 4 screws.
4) Connect the proper IDE connector to it (the big flat cable)
5) Connect the power to it (the 4 pronged thingie from the power supply)
6) Boot up the computer and watch the BIOS screen to see if it's been detected.
7) Once in Windows, go to Start...Run...and type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter - then check to see that the drive is there and that it's "Healthy"
8) Then, use it!

Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 bnrr

bnrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 07:14 PM

Hello USASMA

Thank you sir for your reply for my need to know as to how to do a second hard drive and its
application. I will start tonignt with the installation.
I sir will like to thank you and all the men and woman in the arm services who are fighting for
for my freedom. God bless the u.s. military.
Merry Christmas to all.
once again thank you. :thumbsup:

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:16 PM

Not a problem - that's what we're here for!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users