Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ideal mobo for this build?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 babicz

babicz

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:34 AM

Hey guys, looking for a nice mobo:

Radeon HD 5770 (nice card, you think?)
Newegg

AMD Phenom II x4 @ 3.0
Newegg

Caviar Black 500GB
Newegg

LiteOn CD/DVD Burner
Newegg

...and PSU/case/RAM suggestions? Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate it. Great help on this website, helped me build mine a year ago, it's running amazing still, thanks so much.

**Budget ~ 900 - 1,000 (prefer to stay close to 900 if possible, but give me suggestions nonetheless!)

Edited by babicz, 30 November 2010 - 12:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:46 AM

Actually, the Radeon 5770 is considered low-end with the release of the Radeon 6850 but it is still a very capable card. If you can get a 6850 go for it, it's really worth it. If this is going to be a gaming PC, I suggest this:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core - With Phenom II's, if you're not going Black Edition, you may as well go for Athlon II's as they will perform nearly the same but come in at a lower price. The Phenom II's do have the advantage of L3 cache, but the speed increase is small. If you're gaming, many games put more demand on the GPU. If you do want to spend extra and get a Black Edition CPU, and probably OC it, the AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz is still a good buy. $99

Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 - This is a basic, though capable, motherboard. It uses DDR3-1333 RAM and takes AM3 CPU's. This also allows for Crossfire, but at low speeds. As this is a newer AMD 800 chipset, it allows for USB 3.0 and SATA 6 also. If you do see yourself using Crossfire heavily, you may want a GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX instead, or, better yet, the GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD 890FX. $79

RAM: CORSAIR 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - A single stick of DDR3-1333 RAM, four of these will max out your RAM should you later choose to do so. $56

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W - Corsair makes good power supplies, well, if you don't include some of the Builder Series. If you're going to be using Crossfire, I would go for the CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W. $79

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM - You need this. $99

Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - This is a simple case that can handle some of the larger graphics cards, but if you are going to be using Crossfire with those large GPU's, you should get a full-ATX case. If you want one of those cases, the Broadway Com Corp R-810 is a good choice, though, shipping is expensive. $59

Graphics card: HIS H687FT1G2M Radeon HD 6870 - Given your budget, you can afford this. The 6870 performs between the Radeon 5850 and the 5870. This is a larger card and can fit, barely, in the case above. For reference, it is 10 inches long. If you want to save a little cash, you can get the MSI R6850-PM2D1GD5 Radeon HD 6850 1GB which is between the 5830 and 5850 in performance. $274

Grand Total: $837 (Includes your selected HDD and ODD, does not include shipping or taxes)

3939.png

#3 babicz

babicz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:13 AM

Thanks a lot man.

-I actually had the Phenom II x4 in mind! I think I'll definitely stick with that, heard good things.
-No crossfire for sure. So the MSI 870A-G54 AM3? I'm liking the USB 3.0, gunna have some fun with that for the first time!
-Again, no crossfire so CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W? Sounds good.
-Ok as for GPU, I really not going to spend over 150$. Currently have an HD 4770 and it runs AMAZING. No problem with MW2 and a LITTLE lag with Black Ops (which is what my friend really wants this PC for, not EXTREME gaming but decent), so anything a bit above that should do just fine, no?
-Picky -> a little more interesting case? Not a big deal
-Why is the RAM so cheap? Could I get anything a little bit better? Just wondering

Again, thanks a lot, still getting used to the process

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:08 AM

For the CPU, it's your cash, but the difference is rather small in real-world tests. It comes down to whether or not the price difference is worth it, it is if you're overclocking or wanting to squeeze out every frame per second. The Radeon 4770 was mediocre when it was released, the 5770 is very much outclassed by the 6850. I use a Radeon 5850 right now and some of my games do have trouble running on it, should I enable certain features, like super sampling AA, which is a hugely intensive way to do anti aliasing but the quality is worth it, especially in Mass Effect 2. Final Fantasy XIV was a slow mess with a 9800 GTX in SLI, now, it runs well... on standard settings and relatively low AA. It comes down to what games you're going to be playing, the 5770 is more likely to need an upgrade sooner than a 68xx as it is already being outclassed. You could get the XFX HD-583X-ZAFV Radeon HD 5830, but it's price point almost makes it a pointless card to use since $20 more get's you a card that outperforms it by a significant amount. RAM isn't that expensive, depending on what you want. The AM3 platform uses DDR3-1333 as a standard, higher RAM speeds are considered overclocked and sometimes require settings to be changed for use, also, the speed increase from DDR3-1333 to DDR3-1600 is minor and not worth it, in my opinion. As for the case, hmph, you're so picky! LOL! Anyway, cases are largely a style choice. Cases made out of aluminum are usually of higher quality, windows or side vents make cases louder, and cases can cost a fortune to ship. But I'll throw in some alternates.

Mid-ATX

LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 - Lian-Li makes good cases, they're a little plain to look at sometimes, but they are sturdy. The design of this case will keep things cool, but expect fan noise.

Antec Nine Hundred - It's a bit busy, but should work.

APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK - If you like steampunk with neon, go for it.

Full ATX

NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT - The outside is classy and modern, don't know about the plastic though.

COOLER MASTER COSMOS S RC-1100-KKN1-GP - The Cosmos line of cases are some of the best I've seen. Their traditional white and black model is currently sold out.

SILVERSTONE KUBLAI Series KL03-SW - I have a Silverstone case and are happy with it. I do like the design of this one, though.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users