Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crash

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wemibelec90

wemibelec90

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 06:56 PM

I am having some major problems with my computer. I tried installing the new trial version of Norton Antivirus 2006. Before it would install on my computer, it ran a scan to make sure it was safe to install. It froze during the scanning. I then rebooted my computer. When it came back to the desktop, there was no icons on the desktop! I tried restarting it again but the same thing happened - it only loaded the background picture, not the icons. The only thing I was able to do was hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and bring up that menu. That didn't help. It only let me restart the computer. So I restarted it, and then tried to boot it in Safe Mode. The same thing happened.

Is there any way to fix this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:17 PM

wemibelec90: Did you try to run the Last Known Good.

If that doesn't work you could try to Perform a Repair Installation of XP.

Let us know how you make out.

Edited by Joshuacat, 30 November 2005 - 09:18 PM.

JC

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:05 AM

I'd vote for the repair install (BTW - great link JoshuaCat!)

Here's another thing to try:
1) Get to the blank screen
2) Use Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager
3) Select the "File" menu option, then select "New task"
4) Then type in "explorer.exe" (without the quotes) and click OK

Does this bring up your normal Desktop?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:48 AM

Good point usasma. :thumbsup:
Maybe he can try this. (I combined your instructions with the MS instructions for running System restore from the command prompt)

Here's another thing to try:

1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
315222 ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/ ) A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.
3. Get to the blank screen
4. Use Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager
5. Select the "File" menu option, then select "New task"
6. Then type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes) and click OK

7. Type in "%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe" (without the quotes)
8. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

What do you think?

Edit: Steps 3 to 6 will not work with Safe Mode with a command prompt. But, it may work in normal mode, or in regular safe mode.

Edited by Joshuacat, 01 December 2005 - 11:54 AM.

JC

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:37 AM

Great idea with the System Restore thingie! I'd have never thought of it. I gave up on System Restore back when XP was in beta and it wouldn't work for me. So I have no real useful knowledge about it (but I'm gonna add this one to my "tips" folder! :thumbsup:)

Since I no longer use System Restore, I've relied on backups of my documents/files/folders/etc, along with periodic images using Acronis True Image. And, have recently added daily backups of my registry with ERUNT (because I crashed my system through the registry a couple of weeks ago - without a backup!).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users