Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card, Drivers, Nvidia? Help?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DecG

DecG

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 06:21 PM

im usually used to these sort of things like second nature, but i have NO CLUE at all in the world of graphics/video cards chips or whatever. ive spent the last 3 hours doing nothing at all trying to understand this...

My computer has an NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 model64 pro video board. i have no clue at all what this is, but i know its what i have. The problem is that i want to play the Sims 2 (and other games later on), but the graphics are all slow and choppy. going through troubleshooting, it says i need a new 'driver', or, the latest driver provided by the video card chipset.

i have no idea what to get, how to get them, in what order and would really like it if someone could tell me what i should do (in simple terms), or just explain it all to me.

thanks to anyone who helps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:12 PM

Here are the driver links at the Nvidia Home Page.

Nvidia drivers Win98
Nvidia drivers XP/W2k
Nvidia drivers XP Media Center
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 DecG

DecG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:16 AM

i installed the driver for XP (i dont know what it was i was downloading, but im sure itd help), and during the setup, a message says: The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compaltible with your current hardware.

all the other things ive tried downloading from the nvidia website, that the Sims 2 says i should have as a minimum for the video card (it says it requires a 32MB T&L capable video card)

i really know nothing at all about graphics

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:26 AM

Video cards

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:43 AM

The Nvidia Riva TNT 2 is specially listed as not supported by The Sims 2.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 DecG

DecG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:28 PM

so have i got to buy a video card that will support one of them drivers..? erm, confused..
could someone please tell me what a video card, a chipset and a graphics driver or somethin is and what they all have to do with each other?

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:40 PM

I think what he is saying is you need to buy a card that supports the game. There should be a list of requirement, including the video card type, on the documentation that came with the game. Some cards won't play certian games no matter which drivers you load. That is why they list on the game which type of card they will work with.

#8 DecG

DecG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 04:35 PM

right, ive nearly got it. but whats a card and a driver? and how do they work with each other?

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 04:59 PM

The video card is what you plug your monitor into. The driver is the software the allows the video card to work with windows and your other software.

#10 DecG

DecG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 05:06 PM

so, itd be the driver that helps the graphics run, and an older driver would mean that the games graphics would be slower and choppier? and if i wanted i better driver, i would need a better graphics card that could run the driver?

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 08:50 PM

Yes to a degree. Think of it as too small of an engine.The old card was a gasoline haft ton pickup. You now need a F450 diesel. The newer game are a heavier load so you need a more powerful card.

#12 DecG

DecG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:10 AM

heh. good theorey. thanks, that all helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users