Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hp pavilion m7650n

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fivelitre

fivelitre

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:33 PM

I'm looking to upgrade my computer - mainly the motherboard and cpu.

It's an older computer, I know. So I'm curious as to whether that will pose a problem with being able to get some of the newer hardware?

I primarily use my computer for internet, games, burning dvds etc etc. I'm looking to upgrade to a quad core with the ability to upgrade my RAM past the 4GB I'm already maxed out at.

What motherboard/cpu's do you recommend? It is as simple as plug in and that is that?

I'm looking for something that will speed up my computer as well as be able to handle games with high graphics.

Put down any suggestions you have. My budget is say.. $500 or so? But if I can get a good combo under that budget, that will be fine with me.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:28 PM

You cannot just replace the mother board and CPU since doing so will change the memory standard and so on. The only things that might be worth using is the case and maybe the optical drive if you are okay with it. Other than that everything will need to be replaced. Motherboard, CPU, memory, hard drive, video card, sound card(if you don't plan on using on board sound). The case however is a mini tower so you will not be able to fit a full size ATX board in there which does limit your options especially in the gaming arena. I would suggest getting a new case, power supply, motherboard, CPU, memory, hard drive, and video card. Use the on board sound if that doesn't bother you since they have gotten much better over the years. Pricing wise if you cheap out some here and there I would say about US$1000 would be the low end with around $1500 on the higher end for a single GPU and AMD based system.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:16 PM

$1000 is probably not low-end. Personally, I'd say that this amount would get you a mid-range.

However, $500 will certainly not get you a system that can play many graphic-heavy games. It does depend on the type of games you are talking about. So what type of games are you interested in playing?

Depending on how old the system is, you might be able to reuse the hard drive. And most motherboards have integrated sound that works fine. It would also help if you could post the specifications of your current computer to see what can still be salvaged.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:59 PM

And...what makes you think that going to a quad-core...is what you want to do...when you have been using much less than a quad-core system for some time?

If $500 is what you intend to spend in total for a new system...I suggest thinking "AMD", new PSU, motherboard combo, and probably new case.

And...where is the O/S for this new system come from? Changing the motherboard is viewed by Microsoft as a new system. That will cost.

Current motherboard specs, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00783637&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3245034

You are not likely to see any benefit moving from 4GB of RAM...to 6GB...for what you do on a system, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 December 2010 - 08:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users