Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding a third HDD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cattywompus

Cattywompus

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:05 PM

I just purchased a third HDD (all SATA). Problem is I didn't check to ensure my drive cage could support 3 drives, which it doesn't, only 2 fit. My OS is on a 300GB velociraptor(220GB free) . Most everything else is on my 2nd drive, a 500GB WD caviar blue (80% full). My new drive is a 1TB WD caviar black 64mb cache.

Could I safely use a drive unmounted in the bottom of my case? Thanks.

Core 2 quad Q6600
4GB DDR2 800 ram
ATI 4870
"Does it really matter if my glass is half full or half empty..........when it's piss?"

- Pessimist Prime

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:44 PM

You could..as long as the computer case is not going to be moved around or tilted in any manner and the controller's circuit board is not shorting out to the case anywhere.
The drive will jump or vibrate more in this situation, so this is not recommended for a long term solution. :nono:

However that is not a practical way of doing this...even though I have done it many times myself..not mounting a hard drive in a secure bay.
But, on the other hand, I am the only one who uses my computers and I know not to disturb the tower in any way in a situation like this. :wink:

There are hard drive mounting brackets available, that can mount the drive either horizontally or vertically.
You should invest in something like this, a lot of times you can salvage one out of another discarded computer case that someone has laying around. You'd be surprised how quickly someone would be willing to get rid of some excess junk, that could benefit you for free.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:55 PM

I have seen people drill holes in the bottom of the case lining up with the hard drive screw mounts, you should just be careful to remove the shavings from the case, in fact I would remove the components, drill, clean, and reinstall. A better way of doing it is if you have a extra 5.25 inch bay to purchase something such as this It might be advisable. That drive will work on the bottom of the case until the first time your cat whacks the side panel or a friend goes to move your computer without realizing theres a free floating hard drive flying around in there.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:09 AM

Have you considered an external enclosure?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Cattywompus

Cattywompus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:38 AM

I didn't consider an external enclosure because I thought USB2 or IEEE would be slower than SATA. Is that not true?
"Does it really matter if my glass is half full or half empty..........when it's piss?"

- Pessimist Prime

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:16 PM

FWIW: I have (for several years now) removed my case covers and I leave some of my drives standing outside the case. I've not observed a problem at all, as long as the connections are proper. I have them upright, not horizontal as they are in the case slots.

I don't want to encourage this, but functionally it seems to present no system problems :).

This system currently has two such hard drives attached.

Louis

#7 Cattywompus

Cattywompus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the assist all. I removed an unused portable media bay right above my drive cage. My new HDD fit in it perfectly.

- Pessimist Prime

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:09 AM

Glad you found a solution, although it would have been difficult for us to suggest your solution since we had no clue you had any other open bays.

Although with the use of special brackets the optical drive bays can be used for hard drive space as well.
I could have suggested that, but neglected to think of it at the time.

Best to luck to you and thanks for sharing your solution.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:40 PM

I linked one such item up above, but glad you got it figured out. Still want to be careful not to bump it. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:47 PM

I linked one such item up above, but glad you got it figured out. Still want to be careful not to bump it. :D

Yes you are correct, I just clicked that link again and realized I was suggesting the same piece of hardware.

Please foregive and my bad memory.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users