Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitioning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alan1884

alan1884

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:56 PM

I am going to be installing a new hard dive(250 GB) in my Laptop with Windows 7 and would like a recommendation for partitioning of the HD during installation.

Edited by hamluis, 30 November 2010 - 08:54 AM.
Merged duplicate topics, Win 7 and IH ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:53 PM

I would allow Windows 7 to take advantage of the whole 250 GB hard drive as ONE partition.

I have a 500 GB hard drive and Windows 7 has access to the whole drive, leaves lots of room for large files such as movies and music.

When you install Windows 7 just boot from the DVD disk and choose this hard drive and windows 7 will do the rest for you. Partition the disk and all.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 alan1884

alan1884
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:25 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks for the recommendation. Have a Great Holiday Season!

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:26 PM

Setup/drive partitioning is a personal thing.

Now, my favorite setup is 3 partitions, assuming you want to set up a restore partition with WIN7/Acronis/Ghost.

Partition 1 is the primary: OS and programs. I usually run about 1/4 to 1/3 of total drive size on this partition. Out of a 250 gig drive, 80gig is a happy number.
Partition 2 is DATA. Pics, documents, music, movies, TV episodes, etc. I allocate at least half of the drive space to this partition.
Partition 3 is a restore partition. I usually use either Ghost or the WIN 7 backup to image the hard drive OS/Program partition.

Random stuff: The primary partition doesn't get sloppy too fast as the documents/data are saved to the Data partition. It is possible to restore the primary partition quickly with a boot disk. I usually install the OS, all updates/service packs, essentials (for me MS Word/Nero CD burner/7zip/codec packs etc), and then make a backup to keep on the restore partition. It usually doesn't go bigger than 15-20gigs with normal compression. I live by Murphy's law....."Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong." Stuff happens. PITA virus/trojan infections, messing with the registry, installing that last Microsoft update that BSODs your system, and that defrag that caused an "Uh Oh" moment happen. Been there. I like being able to restore to a functional system in 15 minutes with all of my essential programs there if I need them.

To be safe, that backup and data partition should be backed up externally as well in case the whole hard drive takes a dump (which I have experience a few times as well over the years).

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:37 AM

Well...I would create a system/boot partition no larger than 50MB...for Windows, programs, and some data files.

I would not use the entire 250GB for one partition.

Louis

#6 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:44 AM

If you are looking for a partitioning disc, have a look at Parted Magic live CD:

http://partedmagic.com/

EDIT: Removed reference to merged post ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 30 November 2010 - 08:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users