Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SBS 2008 Backup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gerry58

gerry58

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:44 PM

I have never had good luck with getting reliable backups using SBS backup. Is there something out there better, at a reasonable price, or is it just my inexperience with SBS backup. Is there a guide to setting up the backup to run automatically?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:04 PM

The backup products included with windows server are basic at best. While it does and can work more robust backups are definitely available. One that I have been using for a very small construction company is backup4all. It creates zipped backups from any source which you can select to just about any media you can think of. Setting it up is rather simple and so far (over a year of continuous service) it has performed its tasks well. There are lots of good solutions out there so look around and find the one that best fits your goals and your budget.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 gerry58

gerry58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for the information. I will look into the backup4all product.

#4 Aliena

Aliena

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:18 PM

We use Asigra for backing our SBS, desktops and laptop and a couple of other Windows servers. It backs up everything to a secure vault at our service provider. I like it because it also caches a local copy of data, from which we can restore fast, as well getting our data offsite. Our service provider is Ondemand Recovery if you're interested - they did a nice little intro to Asigra video recently.

Hope this helps.

-Aliena

#5 jbitgood

jbitgood

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:03 AM

SBS is a bit more of a complex beast than people think, and the built-in backup just doesn't cut it for anything but the most basic full backup/full restore functions.

One of the key questions you need to ask yourself is, do you need to restore individual emails/contacts/calendar items, or are the backups only to be used for document restores and disaster scenarios? The answer to this has a huge effect on your field of choices. If you don't need that granular recovery, something like the aforementioned Backup4all should work fine for you. If you do, you're going to need to look at more advanced tools like Acronis, Storagecraft's ShadowProtect, Symantec's Backup Exec, etc. There are also plenty of vendors out there that offer a BDR (backup & disaster recovery) device that provides the same functionality on a subscription/rental basis that quite often includes an extra layer of cloud storage. All of the higher-end solutions are pricey, but you get what you pay for.

#6 geek117

geek117

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:29 AM

I support a few hundred servers, most of which run Backup Exec. It's fairly robust.

#7 Rick Burt

Rick Burt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:54 AM

Hi There,

Have a look at backupassist, it backs up all the aspects of an SBS server, ie data, exchange etc, and you only pay for the bits that you actually need.

Have a look at their website at www.backupassist.com.

Also their support is very good, and easily contactable.

Hope this helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users