Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Router

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 03:44 PM

I have "xp" OS and sp2 and now want to install a wired router as we now have high speed phone internet connection.
I only need wired and am looking at Linksys or Alpha Shield as either of them was recommended to me by our office tech.
I look forward to experienced comments, thankyou.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 04:26 PM

I have been using the Linksys Network Anywhere NR041 wired router for over six years. I purchased it at the Walmart for $40. I ran it in DHCP mode till '04 when I configured it to Static IPs.
I have 13 computers, 3 printer, and sometimes a NAS (An external ethernet hard drive) running thru it. I plugged a 3Com SuperStacker II 24 port switch (used) into it to increase it form a 4 port to a 24 port.
I had to replace the router once do to lighting, and went back with the same model.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 01 December 2005 - 01:10 AM

Thx for the comment.
I was wondering if there is any merit in using Alpha Shield as well.
I only use the SP2 firewall.
That is the major reason that i am posting as I just updated my notebook to SP2; as there was no reason to do so when I only used this one occasionally.
It is not my main computer, however now I may use it more consistently.
Respectful regards.
Thankyou.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 01 December 2005 - 01:43 AM

I have no experience with Alpha Shield. The firewall with XP in woefully inadequate. It only scans incoming and does not stop outgoing virus/trojans. If some how you get a virus/trojan pass the firewall it can transmit information outbound without detection.
I have used Zone Alarm (freeware) and it will catch everything coming in and going out.
As far as updates I install everything MS has to offer except the languague plugins.
Since you are using a notebook on the LAN I would also recommend a print server ($30 used, $70+ new) so when you log onto the LAN your printer is available. Most brands make routers with print servers built in, which start at $70.
All wireless routers have 4+ wired ports as well. You could setup a wired LAN except for you notebook, which would logon when it was in range. Wireless router refurbished router start at $40. Link to cheap routers.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users