Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP will not Boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gsoublis

gsoublis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:31 PM

Hello. I am posting on here for the first time and hoping someone can help me out or lead me in the right direction. I own a Lenovo S-10 and my wife was browsing the internet and went to Dictionary.com. In doing so something odd occurred and it locked the computer. (To me it seemed like it was a virus). I restarted the computer by holding the power button down and restarting and now all I can do is get to the start up screen but it will not allow me to boot up in XP. It goes to a black screen with a cursor at the top left that just blinks. If I hit any button I get beeped at.

I have tried to to start the computer in safe mode by hitting F8 as well as the one key recovery and neither have worked. I made the mistake of never creating backup disks (that will never happen again) so now I need some guidance as to how to go about getting my computer functional again.

Thank you in advance for your help and time.

Edited by gsoublis, 29 November 2010 - 04:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 S Bradshaw

S Bradshaw

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:07 PM

Have you tried all options of Safe Mode (with Network and with Command Prompt). Even if this does happen to work you can just restart and see what happens in Normal Mode. Also, depending on the computer under the F8 menu there will be an option to boot under ".. last known good configuration". If you have this option and have not tried this, try that option.
If neither of these work or have worked, you will most likely need a Windows XP boot disc for troubleshooting via the Recovery Console.

If you are not even seeing the XP boot screen before the blinking cursor appears, I would say try reseating the hard drive or at least make sure it has a good connection but I see that this is a netbook and would most likely be a pain to get to.

#3 gsoublis

gsoublis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:10 PM

Thank you for your response. Luckily this laptop is very easy to get to the HDD. It is on the bottom of the computer with the memory behind a panel (one of the few netbooks that have the HDD located in accesible area). I did reseat it with no change. I cannot even get to the Windows XP screen. It pops up at the beginning showing Lenovo with F2 to setup and F12 to boot menu. Dumb question but how do I get safe mode through network and with command prompts if i cannot get past the start up lenovo screen?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,745 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:46 AM

Typically...the black screen with blinking cursor can be overcome by running the fixmbr command from the XP Recovery Console.

But...since it's a Lenovo, you probably don't have access to the XP Recovery Console.

If you can boot into the BIOS...I would check to ensure that the boot options are proper and that the hard drive is recognized both as an installed drive and as the primary boot device.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users