Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bizarre behavior from DVD burner

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 straightupwv

straightupwv

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:16 PM

My wife has an older HP/Compaq d530 SFF computer that runs XP Pro SP3. The hard drive recently died and I replaced it with an older WD 20 gig that I had lying around. After formatting the hard drive with DBAN, I used the original XP disk that came with the computer to reinstall the OS, (it was purchased as a refurbished unit and came with an XP disk, not an HP recovery disk). The computer is working fine but there are now issues with the DVD drive, which is a Memorex 16X-DDL-IN. When the drive is empty, My Computer shows it as "DVD-RW Drive (D:)". If I insert a DVD, the icon changes to "CD Drive (D:)" and it will not recognize the disk. I've included an image that is a composite of two screen shots.

Posted Image

The Device Manager shows "Memorex 16X-DDL-IN" no matter if there's a DVD in the drive or not. Double clicking the icon with a DVD in the drive opens what appears to be an empty folder. This behavior happens only with DVD's and not CD's. Does anyone have a clue to what's going on? Am I looking at purchasing a new drive or am I experiencing some sort of Windows Weirdness?

Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:39 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

This is a DVD-RW drive, so I am curious what you use for burning software?

Also what is the default DVD player on your computer? Example: Windows Media player?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 straightupwv

straightupwv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:37 PM

The default player is Windows Media Player 9 at the moment. There is no burning software on it yet. She was using older versions of Nero, (6), for burning and PowerDVD ,(5), for viewing before the hard drive died. I discovered this problem when trying to restore backed up data files that I had burned to a DVD on this drive. Will installing burning and viewing software correct this problem? Will the lack of a viewing program affect the ability to use data DVD's?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:50 PM

I can suggest some FREE disk burning programs that work quite well, do not install any malware and are quite popular with the members of Bleepingcomputer.

ImgBurn http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

CDburnerXP http://cdburnerxp.se/

ImgBurn is the most popular. It starts off as an easy to understand Graphical User Interface (GUI) with images of what the process does. As an example: to burn a disk to your hard drive, the icon in the GUI shows a disk and an arrow pointing to a hard drive, this is the copy disk to hard drive shortcut.

Basically the program is user friendly for users who are just learning how to use the program.
There is an advanced mode, which has more menus like a regular disk burning program such as Nero.
If you feel comfortable with using advanced mode, feel free to switch to it.

As for a media player, Windows Media Player can play DVDs as long as it is is set up as the default player for media of this type.

In Windows XP check this Microsoft knowledge base article on Windows Media player.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306318

You should upgrade to Media player 11.

It will work with Windows XP. Here is the URL. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=1d224714-e238-4e45-8668-5166114010ca

Kind regards.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 straightupwv

straightupwv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:54 PM

That's all well and good. I personally use CDBurnerXP and PowerDVD in my computer but this doesn't address the problem I'm having with my wife's computer, which is the reason I'm here. Is there a reason her DVD player will not recognize DVD's and her icon changes when a DVD is inserted? Could this be a problem with the drive itself or is something corrupt in Windows?

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:20 AM

Try this and let me know if this resolves the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/

It is possible the laser has become weak and is not capable of reading DVD disks anymore or the lens is dirty.

I should mention that when DVD drives start to show signs of failing, the ability to read DVDs is usually the first to go, even though it may still read CD disks.

Bruce.

#7 straightupwv

straightupwv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:49 AM

Nope, it couldn't find readable media. It sounds like the drive is at fault. Sincere thanks for your time and your help.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:19 AM

Nope, it couldn't find readable media. It sounds like the drive is at fault. Sincere thanks for your time and your help.

The price of internal DVD burner drives is so low these days, its usually better just to replace the drive with a new one.

Bruce.

#9 straightupwv

straightupwv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:23 AM

I ordered a new one from TigerDirect this morning because of our correspondence. I just wanted to make sure the drive was at fault and not Windows before I spent the money. It sure is hard to find an IDE drive these days. Again, thanks for your help!

Edited by straightupwv, 01 December 2010 - 10:25 AM.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:01 PM

It sure is hard to find an IDE drive these days.

Oh do I know this to be a fact.

I ended up getting an external USB DVD burner to replace my failed Memorex DVD IDE drive.

One of my motherboards does not have SATA ports.

Best of luck to you.

Bruce.

#11 straightupwv

straightupwv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:56 AM

Just an update. I purchased the new DVD burner as a Christmas gift for my wife. I installed it yesterday and everything is as it should be. Thanks again for the advice!

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

Great news and glad to hear that everything is working again.

Have a happy new year!

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users