Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Settings

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 shrimp

shrimp

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 03:20 PM

hey,
does anyone know how to make the labels underneath the icons on the desktop transparent? i am running xp sp1
cheers
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 03:28 PM

Go to the Display Properties. Letf click on the Desktop>Properties>Desktop. Lower right select the color closest to the desktop image and set to stretch.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 registereduser

registereduser

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:26 PM

why not remove them completely and stash them on a quick launch bar in your taskbar ?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:38 PM

Thats how I have them also. But to each his own. All I have is the recycle run on the desk top.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 shrimp

shrimp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 11:31 PM

cheers guys. thanks for the quick reply as well. have stumbled across a problem however, can change the colour and stretch it, however the box where you chose the background image wont let me select anything
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:55 AM

Another option you could try is Iconoid.
I've been using it for a few years now, with no problems.
It's freeware.

Iconoid is a Windows desktop icon manager.

* Make icon backgrounds transparent
* Select any color for icon backgrounds
* Save and Restore Icon positions for each (or every) screen resolution
* Select any color for icon text
* Automatically or manually select the best color for the text background
* Dynamically hide icons when you don't need them and show them when you do
* Quickly minimize all windows so that you can see your desktop wallpaper.

Just run your mouse over the tabs in the image, on the home page, to see available options.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 shrimp

shrimp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 05:59 PM

cheers t. good program. the problem with my wallpaper selection turned out to be something to do with spysheriff. however, followed the spy sheriff removal tutorial on this site and all is fine. good work. cheers again.

#8 shrimp

shrimp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 06:04 PM

reckon the sillyware thing could catch on too :thumbsup:

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:32 PM

You're welcome, shrimp.
Glad to be of help.
Yeah, I like his URL; sillysot.com :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#10 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:43 AM

Hey tg, thanx for the Iconoid program, but i have an issue with it.

If i right click anywhere on the desktop or anywhere in a folder, the drop down menu is faded until i move my mouse on it. I can't seem to find any option to fix this, and it only started happending after i installed the program.

Is there a check box i'm missing or something, or is this a permanent downside? I find it annoying...

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 01:43 PM

Heretic Monkey,
I've never experienced this problem.
All I can suggest is:
Play around with the program options.
Play with the settings under My Computer/ Properties/Advanced/Performance.
(Mine is set to Custom, with Smooth edges of screen fonts, Use common tasks in folders, Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop, and Use visual styles on windows and buttons checked.)
Try a fresh download and reinstall.
Contact the creator with your problem.

I'm also using an older version (v 3.4.1), which can be found in the archive.

#12 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:04 PM

Thanx tg, didn't think the program would affect any of my actual default settings....

Now, as for the screensaver..... yeah, it never came up after 30 minutes. I checked all my ss settings, and it's all normal. Checked through the iconoid options, and nothing about a screensaver (downloaded the version you're running).

Once again, any help for the helpless?

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:32 PM

I don't use a screensaver, Heretic Monkey, so I can't comment on that.
Try contacting the developer, explaining everything you did.
Could just be a simple fix, something that's being overlooked.

#14 Temo

Temo

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:36 PM

I could be a background program that is intefering with your screensaver... but I also have long with out using one mainly because that happen to my screensaver....
The biggest pain in this world is Debuging!!

#15 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2005 - 04:51 PM

A quick read of this thread did not find an exact answer to the original question, how to make the colored box under his icon titles transparent. (Of course, I could be blind and missed it.) So for the original poster or for anyone else looking for an answer to the question I would like to add the following to this thread:

Here's how to remove that border so that the text looks like it's written right on your wallpaper:

Open System Properties in Control Panel, choose the Advanced tab, and click Settings in the Performance section. Turn on the Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop option, and click Ok

Changing the color of the box would not work for me as I have Microsoft's beta Wallpaper Changer set to change the wallpaper every 15 minutes. Transparent is the best for me.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users