Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Way To Record Audio off The Internet?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zombiewhacker

zombiewhacker

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:19 PM

Windows XP Professional, using iTunes radio. What's the best way to record off the internet stations onto my hard drive, with optimal sound quality?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:22 PM

I don't use Itunes radio, but I do record a lot off the internet.

The easiest option, if you can access the stream directly (sometimes called "Wave out" or "Stereo mix"). This requires no additional hardware. There are plenty of recording packages out there, like Audacity, that will record this way if your drivers permit. If you're using sound support on your motherboard you can expect to get some noise and interference -- disk accesses, etc., will put some buzz into your audio. I use this method to record spoken-word audio to listen later on my MP3 player and the interference is minimal and acceptable.

If you need to eliminate as much interference as possible, a good quality sound card will isolate you from motherboard "noises" and provide a much quieter recording. But you have to figure the expense and inconvenience.

If you can't access the stereo output directly you'll have to use a patch cable to connect your "line out" port to your "line in" port. If your sound card is susceptible to interference this will increase it, but it is an option.

#3 emfederin

emfederin

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:09 PM

Heh...how's THIS for "quick'n'dirty"?

I was watching a comedy routine on my TV card last night, and just for kicks I pulled up XP's "sound recorder" (sndrec32.exe) and hit the record button. Well damned if the little mini-scope didn't start reacting! After a minute or so, I hit the "stop" and then went to "File" => "save as", and saved whatever I had to a wav file on my desktop.

IT WORKED!! :woot:

I played around some more with audio files, movie files and even went to youtube and watched a few vids...I racked up almost a gig of wav files as windows sound recorder faithfully recorded ANYTHING that came through my speakers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users