Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatted

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AAPeterson

AAPeterson

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:21 PM

A friend of mine reformatted her computer Saturday. He has an EMachine with Windows Vista. Since she did this, she cannot download anything, not even combo fix. Can someone please help us....Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:41 AM

Were all applicable drivers reinstalled?

Should be available at the eMachines support site.

Why the reformat...what prompted such?

Louis

#3 AAPeterson

AAPeterson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:40 PM

She has been running very slow the last several months. She loves to play games on a games site we go on to play and chat. She has only been able to load one game for a long time now. I think she has alot of malware in her pc that is bogging her down, but someone had told her that reformatting would be her best bet. Last night she finally got yahoo messenger started on a re-install, but it failed near the end of the installation. She also was finally able to load the game room we play in, but she was still running very slow. Up until last night though, she wasnt able to get anything to even begin to installor load. I have suggested that she try to install the malwarebytes and run it.

As far as I know, she did a full re-install on all her programs and drivers.

We were just trying to find possible solutions as to why she cant install programs and why she cannot upgrade her IE. She has also tried downlaoding FireFox but it will not let her do that either. If I had pc in front of me, I could probably get it running a little better for her, but I don't have it and can't get it as she lives in another state. The guy over our IT dept. where I work reccommended this site and the combo fix...maybe that will work if we can ever get her to a place that she can fully download something.

Thanks for the response.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:00 PM

ComboFix is a malware tool...which should never be run by ordinary users, unless requested to do so by someone knowledgeable/experienced in the treatment of malware.

The following summarizes some info re ComboFix, I urge you to read it.

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help - Look here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic273628.html

Is there any way that you can get your friend to post? That eliminates from being a middleman on a system that you cannot see nor operate...and trying to obtain info from others in the same situation. Which, IMO, lends itself to haphazard suggestions and misinformation.

Louis

#5 AAPeterson

AAPeterson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:05 PM

I CAN ASK HER IF SHE WILL COME IN AND POST. i KNOW SHE REGISTERED YESTERDAY SAME AS ME. i CAN UNDERSTAND THE MIDDLEMAN PART...IT IS HARD ENOUGH IF ITS JUST ONE PERSON, BUT 2...ESPECIALLY WOMEN, NOW THAT IS A POSSIBLE HAZARD IN ITSELF. THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION ON COMBO FIX. i AM ACTUALLY GOING TO RUN IT ON MY COMPUTER TONIGHT. AND I AM ALSO GOING TO RUN CCLEANER, THIS RECCOMMENDED BY OUR IT GUY. I KNOW THAT IF I RUN INTO PROBLEMS, I CAN CALL HIM AFTER HOURS TO HELP.

THANKS AGAIN AN ILL SEE IF I CAN GET HER TO POST.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users