Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless switch problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 capelandings

capelandings

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:01 AM

New to this forum. My apologies for posting this content in the vista OS forum. I realize this is the appropriate place to start. Thanks for your help

System: sony vaio
model: vgnar630e,
Wireless adapter: Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

Had a malware infection which prevented me from accessing any software and redirecting all applications to MS Word. Not sure if all malware, etc are completely removed though System is functional now, except the wireless switch in front right side of laptop came on briefly then went out again soon after going through the last step of of malware removal process using MGtools.

I have updated all drivers. Gone to intel site to update wireless driver with most current, downgraded back to sony original driver, removed all third party wireless lan utilites and it still does not work. Called sony, my system is out of warranty and they are charging over and above what I can afford. They know the problem but will not fix it until I cough up enough dough. Any help to get to the bottom of this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
cape

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:28 PM

I've seen those switches go bad before. Is it a physical switch or a hotkey?
for3ver,
goose90proof

#3 capelandings

capelandings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:45 PM

its a physical switch not a hotkey.

#4 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:32 PM

Yea, those switches are known to go out pretty easily.

I had an HP laptop with one of those, fortunately, my switch broke while it was in the "ON" position so it wasn't really a problem.

Although I've never tried fixing one, from what I understand it's not a difficult fix. The switch usually just gets dislocated from it's track or the connection comes loose.

Laptops are a pain to try and fix. I've never taken a laptop apart for anything but to scrap parts because it was broken.

You probably have all the latest drivers and whatnot. I'm willing to bet that the physical switch itself has become defunct!

Here's how you know: Is the switch, which used to distinctly "click" into an on or off position, now sliding back and forth along it's track without ever "clicking" into place?

If the answer to this question is yes, then the switch has become dislocated from it's track and simply needs to be reseated. However, this will of course require disassembly and also require you to somewhat know what you are doing.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#5 capelandings

capelandings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for your response. I will check into the switch issue and report back. I am aware that malware can disable the switch internally so that the hardware switch in non functional. As I indicated, after cleaning out the laptop from malware, it briefly became responsive and responded to the on and off command as I moved it left and right. That suggests to me that the switch is ok. My concern is that the malware cleaning may not have been that successful and I got reinfected again. I'll also try going through the cleaning process again, this time with professional help to see what results I get.

Thanks

#6 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:02 PM

Ahh.. ok. If the switch distinctly moves into the on/off position with a click, then it's on it's track and is probably fine.

I have also heard of malware tampering with the switches but I've never personally experienced this issue.
for3ver,
goose90proof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users